Block the bid

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
http://www.nolondon2012.org/articles.html

I'm hoping that most Dissensus folk will join me in total opposition to the London 2012 Olympic bid.

This article is well worth a look. It's clear that in addition to bulldozing Stratford's heronbonescapes and turning them into business park Progstrosities, in addition to the amount of public money that will go into funding pointless PR puffery, the bid will have a depressing and normalizing cultural effect. The amount of things that have already been held to have 'possibly damaged the Olympic bid' is preposterous.

Last edited:
k-punk said:
http://www.nolondon2012.org/articles.htm

I'm hoping that most Dissensus folk will join me in total opposition to the London 2012 Olympic bid.

This article is well worth a look. It's clear that in addition to bulldozing Stratford's heronbonescapes and turning them into business park Progstrosities, in addition to the amount of public money that will go into funding pointless PR puffery, the bid will have a depressing and normalizing cultural effect. The amount of things that have already been held to have 'possibly damaged the Olympic bid' is preposterous.

Both your links are broken, or at least down for the moment.

The whole area is an immense polluted abortomasm anyway, what's wrong with putting in some 21st century infrastructure and a bit of greenery. It's so reactionary of you.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
HMGovt said:
Both your links are broken, or at least down for the moment.

yeh, sorry, fixed em now...

The whole area is an immense polluted abortomasm anyway, what's wrong with putting in some 21st century infrastructure and a bit of greenery. It's so reactionary of you.

It's anti-modernizing, but that's not the same as reactionary. Derelict, overgrown urban spaces are to be held onto and cherished. for any number of reasons, not least the wildlife. Besides, Toneee's govt has not exactly covered itself in glory with its 'regeneration' schemes thus far. I'm stunned that anyone can have any confidence after the Millennium Dome - and you only have to look at the attached pic above to see that the thinking hasn't moved on, nor can it with those PR blandroids at the helm.

luka

HM govt is anti-stratford. he called it a dump so i'm boycotting him.
oi, hm, your mum! go back to cambridge with all the other rosy cheeked self-satisfied people.

i'm crossing my fingers for paris. go paris! although, in truth, that land is getting developed olyimpic success or not, the city is too hungry.

luka

it's either london or paris. so 50 50 innit. why spain and america are bidding when both countries have recently hosted olympic games i have no idea. no chance. paris or london. mosocw has too bad a reputation crime wise.

satanmcnugget

if the bid is successful, you WILL be sorry...the only people who benefit from these development deals are the rich...guess who gets stuck with the bill? (see Montreal)

and of course, the poor/homeless will be swept out of sight, meaning oftentimes brutal and undocumented "social cleansing" on the part of the police...gives them the green-light to clear urban areas of eyesores like poor people

martin

----
I can't bear the thought of people approaching me on the street and asking me the best way to get to the archery, 20 times a day. SO I oppose the bid. Having said that, in 2012 beer will cost about £12 a pint and sandwiches £25 a pop, so it's a bit academic. But what are the realistic ways of getting the bid binned?

henrymiller

adoring the logic of supporting paris over london on the issue of planification/regeneration/redevelopment. thank god the parisian authorities never tried to pull that kind of stunt!

luka said:
HM govt is anti-stratford. he called it a dump so i'm boycotting him.
oi, hm, your mum! go back to cambridge with all the other rosy cheeked self-satisfied people.

I'm sorry, as a 31-year-old white male living in the provinces, saying 'your mum' to me just reminds me of Bisto adverts and fabric conditioner.

And are you really this stupid? Is anyone? I called Stratford a gruesome dump. There are shite-smeared shanty towns outside Brazzaville run by and for mosquitoes with more going for them than Stratford.

But you've nailed exactly what I dislike about Cambridge and why I will probably move back to London before too long.

Last edited:
satanmcnugget said:
if the bid is successful, you WILL be sorry...the only people who benefit from these development deals are the rich...guess who gets stuck with the bill? (see Montreal)

and of course, the poor/homeless will be swept out of sight, meaning oftentimes brutal and undocumented "social cleansing" on the part of the police...gives them the green-light to clear urban areas of eyesores like poor people

Where's the 'world's smallest violin' emoticon?

jenks

thread death
maybe i am being selfish but i want the games to come here - i want to be able to take my kids to see the best in sport. i understand that there is a huge question mark over the idea of urban regeneration what is the alternative - to leave these places to continue to degenerate? when i went on hoilday to barcelona, i couldn't find anyone who didn't think getting the olympics was a bad thing (cue thousands of rejoinders from agitated dissensus catalans...) and as for losing money i think that montreal was the last place to lose money hosting the games.
we'll lose the games cos there's too much to do here but i can't see the parisians being pleased about the atheletics being sponsored by macdonalds and the only food being available in the stadium being... macdonalds as it was in athens last year.
surely i'm not the only one who wants 'em

luka

i think you've misunderstood. as i was being nice and keeping things friendly i used a delierately childish, playful insult. however, in reality i think you#re just a prick and every comment you make is a dickhead comment. negative, antagonistic an humourless. stay in cambridge please, you deserve each other.

Rambler

Awanturnik
Montreal was definitely the exception rather than the rule. They screwed up massively, everyone knows that. I'd love the games in London - I get childishly excited about the Olympics anyway, and I can't think of much better than having it all within easy reach.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
I must admit, I hate the Olympics and I hate athletics so that is colouring my judgement. Can you imagine how monstrously Progtrocious the opening ceremony alone would be in post-Blairite Britain?

Hmmm, Stratford gruesome? What is your idea of attractive, then, HMG? I think anyone who thinks that those hideous SF Kapital artist's impressions are an improvement on the overgrown Tarkovsky Zones of current Stratford should indeed be working for Her Majesty's Government.

k-punk said:
I must admit, I hate the Olympics and I hate athletics so that is colouring my judgement. Can you imagine how monstrously Progtrocious the opening ceremony alone would be in post-Blairite Britain?

Hmmm, Stratford gruesome? What is your idea of attractive, then, HMG? I think anyone who thinks that those hideous SF Kapital artist's impressions are an improvement on the overgrown Tarkovsky Zones of current Stratford should indeed be working for Her Majesty's Government.

Those images are grim, I agree. But there's always a chance that creative control will be wrestled away from the morons who handled the dome. Hopefully by people from our generation with more sophisticated sensibilities, for fuck's sake!

Yes, we've all seen Stalker, lovely scenery, I liked the lingering puddle shots and verdant tunnocks. But remember that was Western Russian (was it shot on old Byelorussian battlefields, maybe?), not East London. A thin film of mutant grass, choked or eutrophicated waterways and stunted trees stretched over arsenic and mercury drenched soil isn't as good as it can get. Nothing there leads in the direction of the real regeneration of nature. It may be the least bad solution to urban decay, but it ain't good enough.

jenks

thread death
opening ceremony

c'mon we had bjork doing her full on medulla gig in athens complete with reverential bbc running commentary - barry davies, genius

luka said:
i think you've misunderstood. as i was being nice and keeping things friendly i used a delierately childish, playful insult. however, in reality i think you#re just a prick and every comment you make is a dickhead comment. negative, antagonistic an humourless. stay in cambridge please, you deserve each other.

I don't recall many belly laughs reading your daily drivel either.

And if we're defining people by where they live, is it Stratford that makes you such a passive-aggressive, short-tempered gobshite?

HMGovt said:
I liked the lingering puddle shots and verdant tunnocks.

Shit I meant these
tussock.jpg

not these
teacake.gif