King Midas Sound

john eden

male pale and stale
It's good to have things to look forward to.

It never ceases to amaze me how underrated the less abrasive tracks by The Bug are.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=125160

nice cover art!

this 12" is predictably amazing, the dabrye remix especially. king midas sound album has the potential to be, like, the best thing in time. just hope it doesn't get delayed forever.

Brilliant. Since Hyperdub moved on from putting out mostly Kode 9 material, it has become a really fantastic label with a much larger and more ambitious scope. Everything this label has released over the last year or so (with the exception of Ikonika's "Please" - nice enough tune, just not up to par) has been really great music that completely transcends the ever-drying cement of the dubstep mold.

Looking forward to the King Midas album, should be big.

crackerjack

That Cool Out track is brilliant. Didn't roger Robinson used to do deeply boring spoken word stuff? What was he playing at if he could sing like that all along?

mms

sometimes
Brilliant. Since Hyperdub moved on from putting out mostly Kode 9 material, it has become a really fantastic label with a much larger and more ambitious scope. Everything this label has released over the last year or so (with the exception of Ikonika's "Please" - nice enough tune, just not up to par) has been really great music that completely transcends the ever-drying cement of the dubstep mold.

oh i thought the ikonika ep was fantastic.

mms

sometimes
That Cool Out track is brilliant. Didn't roger Robinson used to do deeply boring spoken word stuff? What was he playing at if he could sing like that all along?

he's a poet, yep, the spoen word stuff on the bug album was great i thought, a nice oasis in amongst all the badness.

joe.dfx

who knows...
oh i thought the ikonika ep was fantastic.

me too, def one of my favorite hyperdub releases.

the only one i really didn't care for was the quartta330 one. given that i had the 9samurai remix for like months already as it was given out on mp3 i just never really felt that arsed to get it. i do like sunset dub more then the cover though.

but i get that 9 is just trying to get people to realize they don't have to fit in a certain spectrum of sound in order to be "dubstep" or whatever. and i have a lot of respect for that.

King Midas Sound release will be bagged for sure, too ; )

datura

white collar loafer
This is the first bug release I've liked in a long time. Personally, I can't stand his abrasive stuff.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
This is the first bug release I've liked in a long time. Personally, I can't stand his abrasive stuff.

Haha, yeah, mostly in the same boat. Mostly I'm just a soft-cock. :D

Think 'Cool Out' is an awesome testament to the truth in the whole "less is more" cliche...

Robinson on that Dabrye mix makes me think of Spacek, who I've always liked - but always with reservations. This is just straight up great, tho.

Anyone trainspot the massive sample on that remix? Had someone point it out to me - he's basically lifted the entirety of a beatless track by a Detroit techno producer and cut it up in the mix - all the chords, the swooping synths are a sample. Loathe to say anything more lest he get into trouble, Kenny Dope-style... otoh, I did a Google search and at least one web shop spilled the beans in their sales pitch!

Client Eastwood

Haha, yeah, mostly in the same boat. Mostly I'm just a soft-cock. :D

Think 'Cool Out' is an awesome testament to the truth in the whole "less is more" cliche...

Robinson on that Dabrye mix makes me think of Spacek, who I've always liked - but always with reservations. This is just straight up great, tho.

Anyone trainspot the massive sample on that remix? Had someone point it out to me - he's basically lifted the entirety of a beatless track by a Detroit techno producer and cut it up in the mix - all the chords, the swooping synths are a sample. Loathe to say anything more lest he get into trouble, Kenny Dope-style... otoh, I did a Google search and at least one web shop spilled the beans in their sales pitch!

Yeah very much like Spacek in atmosphere and vocals. All good.
I think I got the sampled artist and possibly the track. Maybe should of been a bit more discreet.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Any word on an album?

Still loving the 12"... not the Flylo mix so much, but the other two tracks are pretty flash.

psherburne

This is part of what I love about Hyperdub. I wasn't personally that thrilled about the Ikonika, and I love the Quarta 330 to death. And yet I could easily imagine someone with musical tastes very similar to mine feeling the exact opposite. Maybe I'm thinking far too subjectively, but there's something to the idea that feels very intentional to me. It's a cliche but I do believe Hyperdub is pushing listeners to question their own tastes. Even the stuff you don't personally care for still carries something distinctively "Hyperdub" about it, and I think that begs certain question about scene, genre, allegiance and (again) taste. Like, I'm really glad the Ikonika 12" is out there, even if I don't gravitate towards it -- and who knows, maybe something I hear a record or two down the line will force me to reconsider my perspective on it.

If that makes *any* sense at all, which I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
I interviewed kevin bug about 2 months ago and by that point it was 3/4 finished but shit yeah, that thing is going to bust heads. He's moved so much into structure now and melody and this is the result of it although it's evident on London Zoo but just in a different format.

And Hyperdub? This is now buy without listening. Even if there's nothing i'm not blown away by i'm still nothing less than fascinated. I really love the LV and Dandelion CCTV thing- that doesn't get hyped as much as it should- really nice but weirdly distorted roots- just amazing...