Closing Record Shops

Woebot

Another one bites the dust. Mr. Ian Penman knew the guy who was running this place and said to me a year or so ago:

"poor sod i think he's slowly going out of business"

looks like the axe has fallen :(

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Considering commercial rents in London and the fact that so much of the vinyl business has transferred to online stores it's not surprising that so many physical shops have closed. It's not like the total size of the vinyl market has increased in any great way.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Was that the one on CHurch Street? If so I seem to remember John saying something about a tiny, obvious, over priced reggae stock but don't quote me...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
you can charge whatever you like for anything in the black hole of stoke newington because, just like hotel california, once you've checked in it's virtually impossible to leave.

mms

sometimes
yeah place was weird, bought some tasty stuff cheap like give it to me by bam bam on westbrook (sealed) for a few quid , moogy stuff , italo and albini stuff there but alot of the rest was very very pricey, shame the guy was a nice guy.

john eden

male pale and stale
Any 2nd hand record shop would be better than what will no doubt replace it (i.e. "a trendy wine bar" or the like). It was ok in there - good to nose around in on a Sunday afternoon.

Church street apparently had about 5 reggae record shops along it in the 70s and now look! None at all, bar the guy selling stuff on the side of the road at weekends. Oh and the charidee one, which is ok-ish. Mutter mutter.

A double whammy of rents being hiked and people buying more stuff on the internet rather than shops apparently...