yonlu

tom lea

aka the kid from rio who killed himself at sixteen, had been recording music and putting it online, also left some to his parents i believe, and the police found more of it when they seized his computer because he'd been using a suicide forum. david byrne is putting out some of his stuff this month, and then there's a full album in feb, which i havent heard but is meant to be great.

full story here, and you can download a lot of the songs here. obviously it's very sad, and if it gathers steam people will basically say they like it because of the story, and the songs will take second nature. which is a shame. at their most conventional, they're a bit like elliot smith, at their more adventurous, they're quite ariel pink-esque. even reminds me of arthur russell in his more experimental moods. anyway, check them out. i think they're worth it.

tox

Factory Girl
As a complete geek, I actually used to post on Rllmukforum at the time that these events were unfolding. There was a thread, since deleted I think, in which a friend/relative reported Yonlu's death to the rest of the forum, complete with scans of Brazilian newspapers etc. A very strange time.

Hadn't actually heard about a record coming out, so getting news of this from a different forum is also rather surprising!