Kanye West - up to his old tricks again

The fashion school drop out claims that hip hop is now over for him.

Quote:

"At regular intervals as the album plays, he does a dance - still seated - to the strange new sounds coming from the iPod. Instead of the hip-hop with which he made his name, the new album mixes a kind of science-fiction synth-pop with an R&B undertow. It sounds like Michael Jackson fronting the Human League in Studio 54"

Will it just be blog-fodder, or will it be the sound of late 2008 just in time for Xmas?

If the man has any commercial sense he will surely do a collab with [InsertHotNewPopArtistsNameHere].

claphands

Poorly-known member
Hip hop musicians like to reinvent themselves as eclectic 80s pop stars to show that they are "real artists."

My opinion is that the album is sometimes interesting, the production would be beater with an mc (see amazing with jeezy), and I don't really want to hear an album full of autotune. Overall, I just don't really care about it, there's plenty of good hip hop to listen to from this year instead anyway.

It seems to me that people dislike Kanye more than anyone else in "hip-hop," as an aside. If you don't like him, you think he's the scourge of the earth.

Thought the album was average really, couple of bangers but not much.

tomd

penis like a micromachine
we all know kanye isnt hip hop. what i cant work out is what people actually see in him? his musics all over blogs, hes all over radio, i just cant figure out why.

craner

Beast of Burden
"I’m doing pretty good as far as geniuses go...They feel like, ‘Yo, he’s got a God complex, because he said if they wrote the Bible again that he would be in it’. Duh, yeah, I would be in it. I feel like I’m one of the more important people in pop culture right now. The Bible had 20, 30, 40, 50 characters in it. You don’t think that I would be one of the characters of today’s modern Bible? And people have their own forms of bibles now. It’s a new day and age…”

I love that quote.

Logan

Grime Guru
It's a shame that anyone with creative talent decides that being able to remain on top on the field which made you relevant in the first place is not as noble a challenge as conquering other fields.

Although he is making most of Blueprint 3, so hopefully that will be genius in Hip Hop form, not 80s pop.

crackerjack

It's a shame that anyone with creative talent decides that being able to remain on top on the field which made you relevant in the first place is not as noble a challenge as conquering other fields.

So what do you think of the new Wiley album ;)?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Well it all depends...

Reynolds comparing Kanye and Axl Rose:
http://www.salon.com/ent/music/review/2008/11/29/kanye_gnr/

Im with whoever it was above that said that I don't get why he's so big, I don't get him, don't like him and can't see why so many people do...

Did you ever love Hip Hop previous to now? Had you ever heard of Kanye West before 2003? If not, then you wouldn't care now.

I heard the beats he made for Grav back in 1997. I heard his production for the Infamous Syndicate back in 1998/9. I remember his old mixtapes "I'm Good" and "Get Well Soon". I remember when he came out of "nowhere" (just like Just Blaze) to help Roc A Fella takeover the Hip Hop game circa 2001 with his beats.

I also remember when his own label didn't believe in him (read: Dame Dash) so he made his OWN VIDEO for "Through The Wire" got it on MTV and BET's rotation BY HIMSELF and in effect forced his label (read: Dame Dash) to make his album a priority. That was more than 5 years ago, now look at him.

If you can't appreciate that then I don't know what to tell you.

One.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Seems like people who make hip-hop just can't win. It's a no-win situation.

Either you're too inauthentically thuggish (which means you're not a "real" hip-hop artist), or you're too studenty and not straightforwardly hip-hoppy enough.

Kanye West, when he's criticized, seems to fall into the second category.

I agree that there are some KW singles that were much more popular than I thought they'd be based on how good they seemed, but when he's on he's very on. (Flashing Lights was definitely a great song/single, I don't know how you could deny it...)

How can you hate someone for trying to be a little more progressive about their approach to the genre they release albums in?

gumdrops

but this isnt 'progressive' hip hop, this is 80s pop. nothing to do with hip hop really.

i dont think anyone really hated kanye for the reasons you say before, not other rappers, def no one in the mainstream (although there are several aspects of his character that make him quite punchable), but all his 'ive left hip hop behind' chatter is lame.

i do like parts of the new album but i could do without the 'im above hip hop' shtick. hes a smart guy though - im sure he knows certain people will eat it up and love him more for it.

cant see his new beats for jay-z being that amazing going on what ive heard so far. santogold on a track thats meant to restore jay-z's brooklyn credentials is a bit LOL.

Leo

haven't heard his new album but he was the musical guest on "saturday night live" last night and it was borderline painful to sit through. the track didn't hold together at all, he "sang" most of it, then danced around WAY too enthusiastically for what was playing. maybe i'm getting old, but...

petergunn

plywood violin
haven't heard his new album but he was the musical guest on "saturday night live" last night and it was borderline painful to sit through. the track didn't hold together at all, he "sang" most of it, then danced around WAY too enthusiastically for what was playing. maybe i'm getting old, but...

called to mind Puff Daddy's infamous SNL appearence doing his song w/ Jimmy Page on guitar and a full orchestra (song sampled Kasmir, think it was from the godzilla movie...)... that was undoubtably the worst performance i've ever seen...

kanye was close... the same type of brainless arrogance that lead puffy to believe he could be a rapper led kanye to believe he could be a singer... i never liked dude as a rapper, but he pulled it off well enough,,, (well, better than puffy did!)

but, neither of them has a performing bone in their body (kanye's dancing was just sad...) and diddy never had the balls to try to sing... not being able to sing WITH autotune is pretty bad... even hardcore kanye fans aren't defending that performance...

who knew the voice of a generation was out of tune?