Globalisation & International Music Markets

Rekordah

Did You?
Ok, sorry about this but I have a paper due in soon on this subject and after a week of late nights finishing another paper on music video and postmodernism, needless to say I am feeling a little drained of inspiration.

Just wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on interesting angles to explore? It's a pretty wide open brief and essentially I could focus on any aspect(s), be it exploring cultural, socio-political or just industry based tangents.

Thanks, and I hope you don't think I'm looking for people to write this for me, I just need a kick up the arse ideas wise!

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
Dunno if any of the following might be of any potential utility at all:

- International spread of Jamaican folk music (i.e. ska, rocksteady, reggae, etc.) since the 60s/70s.

- Hardcore continuum theory of constant import of foreign sounds to the UK and their subsequent mutation into new forms. Could also apply to older forms - rock n roll, punk/post-punk.

- 'Big in Japan'

- Impact of technological globalisation (primarily the internet) on music distribution (legal downloads and illegal file sharing, availability of mixes, forums for discussion and new connections)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
For me the interesting global thing has been the spread of Dennis Ferrer/Masters at Work type music through Djing alone into both African (kwaito) and UK (funky house) markets, good example is Zhao's new mix, and the mix that mms just posted up in the funky thread

Last edited: