grime queries

blissblogger

excuse me while i pick the hive-mind brain

-- 'boogieman' -- is that produced by terror danjah?

--- is trim affiliated to a crew?

--- who is he dissing on the flipside?

-- wonder, is he black or white? he seems like exactly on the cusp between grime proper and Croydon Ting

-- crazy tich, sing a long -- is the accapella on the flip the first time grime's done one of those? (it sounds fucking weird w/ no beat)

--- got this track called 'frontline refix' -- is that, like, an unoffical tribute/mauling/desecration?

--- gype riddim -- someone said prokofiev, i was wondering 'vivaldi?', sounds like it's based on something famous, any ideas?

cooper

blissblogger said:
excuse me while i pick the hive-mind brain

--- who is he dissing on the flipside?

-- crazy tich, sing a long -- is the accapella on the flip the first time grime's done one of those? (it sounds fucking weird w/ no beat)

-- yes

-- roll deep

-- stormin i think? not at home now so i can't listen.

-- the sublow.fm record with "beats uk remix" has a "duck the 5-0" acapella on the flip. not as good as the more recent black ops - but "beats uk remix" is a really excellent piece of r'n'g.

nomos

Administrator
I thought it was Trim but I can't remember what I'm basing that on.

Last I heard he was in Roll Deep.

Sov's been doing them and I've come across at least on Black Ops accapella too. I'd like to see more.

C

captain easychord

to pick up where cooper left off:

trim is merking storming, sniper and major ace in turn on that track. trim was arguably 2004's fastest rising talent going from unknown to one of the most heard MC's on the pirates/shows etc.

black ops tends to do acapellas, e.g. "bang bang bang" on the "invade" 12". also dizzee rascal, e.g. "jus' a rascal" 12".

frontline refix might be an official refix by davinche or DOK as seen on the aftershock 'fully condition' EP.

Poet for Hire

blissblogger said:
-- wonder, is he black or white? he seems like exactly on the cusp between grime proper and Croydon Ting?

he is either mixed race or black with light skin,
i'd agree that wonder is on the cusp

blissblogger

thanx

for the info guys

>frontline refix might be an official refix by davinche or DOK as seen on the aftershock 'fully condition' EP.

i've got fully condition, no this thing is something different i think -- a white label, really fucked-up (in a good way) sounding. almost like a drill'n'bass equiv, in grime terms, but scene generated as opposed to from outside (wonder when the first drill'n'grime things are gonna come through). on the flip there appear to be unofficial versionings of other big tunes on the scene

wonder/white-black, cusp btw grime/croydon

not that there's any neat division, just a slight racial encoding -- with croydon/dubstep leaning to more white producers, more a techno/techstep mindset i think

mms

sometimes
-- wonder, is he black or white? he seems like exactly on the cusp between grime proper and Croydon Ting

blimey you make it sound as if dubstep and grime are divided along black/white lines!
far from the truth!

cooper

blissblogger said:
for the info guys

>frontline refix might be an official refix by davinche or DOK as seen on the aftershock 'fully condition' EP.

i've got fully condition, no this thing is something different i think -- a white label, really fucked-up (in a good way) sounding. almost like a drill'n'bass equiv, in grime terms, but scene generated as opposed to from outside (wonder when the first drill'n'grime things are gonna come through).

http://dropthelime.com - try the "lost in brooklyn" mp3
teamshadetek are on the case too, and kid606 is at least interested in grime, wouldn't be surprised to see something coming from him.

cooper

ukbass said:
thats drill'n'bass not drill'n'grime

oh please excuse me for not knowing the boundaries of your genre i am so sorry

not really smartass

"lost in brooklyn" is ~130bpm, which is grime tempo, as opposed to drill'n'bass which i assume derives from drum'n'bass -> 160+bpm. but please, splitting hairs is ilmish masturbation.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
cooper said:
http://dropthelime.com - try the "lost in brooklyn" mp3
teamshadetek are on the case too, and kid606 is at least interested in grime, wouldn't be surprised to see something coming from him.
tank u for dis link, i listen all the way thru and it is intrestin

J

jimbackhouse

mike paradinas played an unreleased track in his live session on resonance on monday which was very much on the 'drill n grime' tip.

mms

sometimes
mpc said:
i'd say the majority of dubstep producers are black. not that it really matters.

pretty much mixed i reckon.
but it seemed like an implication, maybe it wasn't.

Poet for Hire

cooper said:
oh please excuse me for not knowing the boundaries of your genre i am so sorry.

not my genre mate, was blissblogger that brought that up
my point was merely that sonically, that track didnt really have any grime elements, apart from, as you said, its speed, which would suggest on your account that grime is nothing but drum'n'bass at 130bpm which i'm sure you dont think is the case

mpc

wasteman
jimbackhouse said:
mike paradinas played an unreleased track in his live session on resonance on monday which was very much on the 'drill n grime' tip.

entitled "gary's gruesome grime"

the jury's definitely out on that one.

nomos

Administrator
blissblogger said:
(wonder when the first drill'n'grime things are gonna come through)
I was pondering similar things after your Gype query. Where will grime's very own take on virtusoic 'progression' (IE: it's drillnbass snare rush/wanky guitar solo/... equivalent) come from? Is the spectre of bloated 'orchestral grime' lurking of the horizon? Who will write the first grime-opera? Who's got grime's "Demon's Theme" in their back pocket? I'm out of questions, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
What sort of product will be the first to use grime in its advertising? Or will dubstep be the first to get the nod. Drum and bass was a real boon for car advertisers. I always have an urge to play "I Luv U" loudly into the heating vent when I hear my landlord having sex. But that's not really advertising, per se.

So many questions. I must be avoiding work of some kind.

Last edited: