Dancehall Albums

slye

Allied Heights
Realizing that dancehall is at it's core really a 12" ting, lately I've been wondering what some of the stone cold classic albums coming from the various eras of dancehall might be. Those records where you get nothing but one killer tune after another.

I was curious as to what full-lengths the heads here at dissensus rate?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Well, this for starters

images

Dancehall is a funny one, 'cos it's more of a 7" music than an LP thing. Be interested to see what others come up with.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Just noticed you asked for different eras in your post so going back a bit earlier...

images

Kinda pre-dancehall but pure fire!

slye

Allied Heights
Ah nice selections DannyL. Thanks for breaking it down. I checked out some clips for these.

The Tiger one is dead on, amazing stuff. This one is exactly what I looking for with the whole "great dancehall album" thing, and it's got such a great cover to top it all off!

As does the M-16 record! I'm hugely into Lone Ranger's Other Side Of Dub lp, but haven't ventured into his 80's material yet. The production is absolutely massive and Lone Ranger is such a great deejay...

Must get down to Trade Roots Reggae this week!

D

droid

http://www.weareie.com/2009/03/raggilations.html

:D

short list of artist LPs here:

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=8209&highlight=ragga

RE: Tiger. Of all his decent LPs:

Come Back To Me
Bam Bam
Good Boy Me
Me Name Tiger
Ram Dance Hall
Ready Fi Dem
Claws of the Cat
Deadly tiger
Tiger Meets General Trees In Concert Live

The Penthouse set 'Deadly Tiger, the Techniques set 'Come back to me', the aforementioned 'Me name Tiger' and the Jammys' set 'Ram Dancehall' are the best. That live album is excellent as well. Id suggest just picking up the 'Ras Portraits' compilation though...

DannyL

Wild Horses
Jesus Droid, that's some serious Tiger knowledge there!

Syle: glad you liked them. I don't think you can go wrong with this either:

images

... should you not have it, though again it ain't really a "dancehall" album - more conscious, however, it's f***ing great and one of my favourite albums EVAH.

D

droid

Heh... Ive become a bit of a Tiger obsessive over the last few years I admit... been spending stupid money on original 7's.

D

droid

Well, it depends on how old and rare they are... Jammys, Penthouse, Steely and Cleevie and Techniques stuff has all been reissued, the 7s on more obscure labels like Sunset, 10 Roosevelt Ave. Thunderbolt, Kings Crown, Kangal etc... are the pricey ones.

Not being much of a Tiger fan, I'm sure John would be more than willing to pass on his ill-gotten bounty to someone who would appreciate it... :D

viktorvaughn

of easily available ones

capleton - prophecy and reign of fire

sizzla - black woman and child, da real thing, soul deep, rise to the occasion, royal son of Ethiopia

Beenie man - blessed

Benny Bunter

Just noticed you asked for different eras in your post so going back a bit earlier...

images

Oooh...spied this in a 2nd hand record shop only yesterday for £6. Hummed and aahed over it but there was no deck in the shop to have a listen so I left it in the end. Definitely gonna go and grab it now!

PS Danny: I'll be posting the tape review by the end of the week...finally

DannyL

Wild Horses
Benny: it really is a brillant album. I've had it since I was 17 and still love it. Mad, languid deejay business.

I look forward to the review! No worries!

slye

Allied Heights
Jesus Droid, that's some serious Tiger knowledge there!

Syle: glad you liked them. I don't think you can go wrong with this either:

images

... should you not have it, though again it ain't really a "dancehall" album - more conscious, however, it's f***ing great and one of my favourite albums EVAH.

Found this one on cd just the other day... absolutely incredible, exactly what I was looking for... the idea of a dancehall artist stretching out over the album-length format with flair. You could stack this up against any lp out there and it'd hold up wonderfully.

images

Tracked this one down too (at Thirsty Moon Records, great place). Pure fire indeed!

Thanks a million for your tips... I'll be keeping a lookout for some of these other gems. :D