What is your favourite 7"?

DannyL

Wild Horses
My musical tastes are a bit more retrogressive than most round here, thus the format fetishism, but everyone loves 45s, don't they? The perfect format for me - at least 50% killer, small, enough room for groovy labels and cool pic sleeves.

I'd like to find out about more cool 45s - the weirder, groovier, stranger and more exotic the better. A good starting point seems to be to ask you what your faves are.

I like a lot of popsikey stuff, which verges on the twee, but in that bag, this is one of my faves: The Garden Club - Little Girl Lost & Found (warning: this one is very twee, if records about Alice in Wonderland and Tinker Toys turn your stomach, don't listen. The chorus is Brian Wilson-esque hamonies a go-go though).

Reggae-wise, I find it even harder to pick a fave. Possibly "Dungeon" by Glenn Miller - revive killer, but its a tossup between that and Bunny General's "Donkey Man" - which is an anti-beastality anthemn where he breaks into "My Girl Lollipop" on the chorus. Yes, really.

Yours?

D

droid

Impossible!

Anthony+Red+Rose+-+Bang+Ga+Wrong.jpg

Id pick something on Ujama, Firehouse, Taurus or Sunset today. Amen brother tomorrow. :)

DannyL

Wild Horses
That looks fantastic. Its a pity the only copy for sale on Discogs is £150!!

(Does it actually sell for that much?)

D

droid

Hmmm... seems a bit pricey considering there's represses around. Rare digi could easily fetch those kind of prices. I paid $40 for a 12" a while back.

dave

the day today tonight
A recent fave is this
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DannyL

Wild Horses
Hmmm... seems a bit pricey considering there's represses around. Rare digi could easily fetch those kind of prices. I paid $40 for a 12" a while back.

I meant the Blue Elvis thingy posted by Ory - I then Googed this and since you can get copies from the guy direct for a fiver, I very much doubt it sells for £150! Another annoying chancer!

Mate of mine sells rare digi though, and he regularly gets those kind of prices for the big Shaka tunes. I remember Red Rose for Tempo, but I've not heard nowt else by him. Will check that one out.

Last edited:
That looks fantastic. Its a pity the only copy for sale on Discogs is £150!!

(Does it actually sell for that much?)
I bloody hope not! I gave my double-up copy away a long while ago in exchange for an on-air plug of a dubstep gig I was playing at.
Droid's right about the magnitude of the task, esp given reggae's preferred choice of media format for several decades. What comes to mind for me right now is Sizzla's Be Strong (Drop Leaf) on Don Corleon.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
One of the few that I still own...as covered by ACR, but this is the business...break fans crank it up at 1.44!

D

droid

Robot voice: Talking Robot (T Ash)
Robot: Tiger (Sunset)
Nah run down man: Major Mackerel (Crat)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
In the dark days of the 80s, I bought quite a few flexi-disc 7"s by C86 style bands. They were pretty close to my heart at one point. A quick google found that some of them are pictured on this nice blog

http://iwishiwasaflexidisc.blogspot.com/

I won't be listening to them when I get home

DannyL

Wild Horses
I found a mention here (in this sadly defunct blog) of a 45 fanzine. This is such an excellent idea that I might try and do one of my own . Going to have a think about this and discuss costs with them that know. I wil come back to this thread if I decide to do it.

In the meantime more 7"s PLEASE!

dave

the day today tonight
while not in line with the original topic this is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it already

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>