Industrial Music

Client Eastwood

I was on youtube looking at old techno and came to Hot on the Wheels then some other TG, Coil and somehow got to this then to this by Current 93

Thats crazy but was impelled to watch it all.
Looking at the wiki entry industrial seems to have come after
proto punk
post punk
peacefunk - edit - cheers Andy peace punk
oi
etc

I guess it fits in with current discussions here. . .

So Industrial what's it all about ? I dont know anything about it at all so Ill chime in when I can.

Last edited:

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
from what i gather it was a term coined by throbbing gristle from their lable Industrial records (Industrial music for industrial people). i think simon reynolds or somone says some interesting things about it being an extension of psychedelic music/psychedelic ethics (TG were former commune living hippies).
personally im well into Einsturzende Neubauten, remember seing them on their 25th anniversary shows playing a sort of pan pipe made of 6ft guttering with a pressurized air hose...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

john eden

male pale and stale
Runs parallel with punk, really.

Throbbing Gristle emerged out of the performance art group Coum Transmissions circa 1976.

Generally more focussed on electronics than guitars. Keen on noise.

Big on big ideas (in the same way that postpunk was) - political/sexual/spiritual extremity.

Went off in all sorts of directions.

john eden

male pale and stale
Worth checking:

Throbbing Gristle
SPK
Coil
early Cabaret Voltaire
Nocturnal Emissions
Neubauten
Test Dept
Z'ev
early Psychic TV

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I guess it doesn't have quite the same value in terms of having been transgressive and really out-there like the first wave of industrial, but there's some good stuff from the mid-80s-to-early-90s: Ministry (before they turned into a more or less straight-up metal band); Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, BiGod 20 and stuff like that on the more dancy/EBM side, taking after DAF in a big way; The Young Gods on a more art-rock-y tip, and Tackhead who came at it from a funk/hip-hop angle.

Edit: I guess the discussion here is naturally going to focus on the earlier experimental stuff, both because of John's expertise and because it's actually a lot more interesting...but it seems to me that beyond the early 80s "industrial" wasn't really a genre or scene so much as an adjective or modifier to other genres. In particular, diverging into a more synth-oriented industrial dance/industrial techno side, and a more guitar-based industrial rock/metal.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
^^ On topic that Armenia thing by Neubaten is seriously good though, cheers to AN.

Yeah, it's killer that one, isn't it?

In my mind it goes together with this:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal

Nice one, thanks!
Really chilling tune, the graphics work really well with it too I reckon.

martin

----
Industrial, when it was tasteful and just focused on dead bodies, rotting hospital wards, crumbling factories and violent mental breakdown - - before all that 'I'm Raping Hitler's Dog' shit set in.

Do Big Black count? Listening to their first EP right now.

And sorry, but aside from being connected to some in the scene, I fail to see how Current 93 could ever be considered industrial.

Otherwise Eden's list is pretty concise, though I'd also include the first two Monte Cazazza 7"s and the first Ramleh 7", with a bit of Foetus on the side.

Client Eastwood

That's wicked. Very far removed from my usual listening but I really like that. Ill dig deeper. Is there a mix tape culture, you know where I could d/l some mixes.

I seem to remember an Industial meets Bhangra mix posted on here a couple of years ago which Ill dig out.

Client Eastwood

Industrial, when it was tasteful and just focused on dead bodies, rotting hospital wards, crumbling factories and violent mental breakdown - - before all that 'I'm Raping Hitler's Dog' shit set in.

Do Big Black count? Listening to their first EP right now.

And sorry, but aside from being connected to some in the scene, I fail to see how Current 93 could ever be considered industrial.

Otherwise Eden's list is pretty concise, though I'd also include the first two Monte Cazazza 7"s and the first Ramleh 7", with a bit of Foetus on the side.

Just a lack of knowledge on my part. Yep Ill chase up some of Johns list. Ive heard of most of the names but not the music behind them.

martin

----
Just a lack of knowledge on my part. Yep Ill chase up some of Johns list. Ive heard of most of the names but not the music behind them.

Oh don't worry, I'm no guru or anything. Plenty of industrial types will tell you I'm wrong and that C93 are great, but to me they're just campfire music with a girl's blouse singing.

STN

sou'wester
So, does any one know anything about right-wing activity within this scene? I've heard some vague rumblings...

john eden

male pale and stale
Oh don't worry, I'm no guru or anything. Plenty of industrial types will tell you I'm wrong and that C93 are great, but to me they're just campfire music with a girl's blouse singing.

Yeah a lot of people would call them industrial or post industrial, purely because of the associations - Psychic TV, Coil, Nurse With Wound etc.

The early C93 stuff (Nature's Unveiled and Dogs Blood Rising) is pretty inspired doomy atmospherics. But then they went all folksy...

I always counted Big Black alongside the Butthole Surfers and Sonic Youth more than industrial per se but there was a lot of people who liked it all, for sure.

Pan Sonic I would class as "noise" rather than industrial probably just because of the timeframe - I make no claim to be some kind of authority on this. If they had been making their records in the eighties and were overloaded with "transgressive" imagery then they would definitely be industrial.

Client Eastwood

Only what I read earlier on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_music

Cabaret Voltaire's song "Do the Mussolini (Headkick)" was inspired by the titular dictator's murder by an Italian mob. As Kirk recalls, "We'd get National Front people coming to gigs 'cos they'd got the wrong idea. But, at the same time, we kinda liked the ambiguity."[22] Cabaret Voltaire were also interested in the resurgence of Islamic fundamentalism and the U.S. Christian right, particularly on the Red Mecca album.[23] Some groups, such as Test Dept, were explicitly left wing.[24]

Would being contraversal be part of the package of IM whether they agree with it or not. Some of the symbols also appear to be in the same vein too.