Blueberries.

jenks

thread death
big fan of yeo valley organic blueberry yoghurt - comes in a big pot and still i'm lucky to get any of it off the kids!

xero

was minusone
turkish shops round here sell a delicious imported blueberry juice in litre cartons, good substitute for red wine if you're on the wagon - apart from the fact that it doesn't get you pissed of course

Woebot

mms said:
i don't believe they exist.

talking of synaesthesia as we're wont mms. blueberries are about the only food i get an intense synaesthetic reaction off. they taste indelibly PURPLE to me.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
large handful of blueberries, one banana, good glug of acacia honey, pint of milk.
fling it all in a blender.
best breakfast smoothie ever.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
hmm the same dude does say soya is a superfood, too and that does horrible things to your nuts.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
stelfox said:
soya - increases levels of oestrogen, depletes testosterone... turns you into a gyal!
You're obsessed with facts about substances that alter gender -- is there something you want to share with us?

:)

luka

haven't seen many big tittyed japanese men, going to reserve judgement on that one dave. i've been in a position to test this superfood theory as i'm very ill today. i've drunk two litres of tomato juice, eaten 250gms of (fairly tasteless)blueberries and a shitload of broccoli with soy sauce on top. if i'm not comepletely cured tommorow that superfoods thing is all shit.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i had a papaya for lunch, that's a gentleman's fruit, slightly arousing .

i have reverse synasthesia, music makes me think of colours and their fruity equivalents. gabbery fast noisy stuff is blackberries, deep spiritual jazzy stuff is peaches and plums and all that.

ripley

I used to think I didn't like the blueberries. But then I had fresh wild ones from my parent's backyard. Dayam that's good stuff.

And Soya has plant estrogen in it. Jury's out on whether plant estrogen affects the body like animal/human estrogen. I actually haven't heard of it affecting men's uh lower bits, but a few studies link it to possible higher rates of breast cancer, or alteration of breast cells (there's one unpublished study on this in men, I think).

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i'm just being daft and vulgar, really ... ignore me.
apparently, according to a biologist friend of mine, soya doesn't do your sperm count any great favours, either.
this is something i'm not worried about, though, because i'm not in the market for kids right now and i never eat soya or soya products, anyway.
not easy if you eat processed food, but a diet of decent fresh meat, vegetables (bought from markets with dirt on them) fish (still looking like a fish), fruit, decent dairy produce and quality bread made with proper flour is pretty nice and very achievable.
still, i'm derailing matt's thread on the wonders of the blueberry. i'm going to attempt making a blueberry crumble with homemade vanilla-pod custard this weekend.

Last edited:

Caebi

low earth orbit
wild

I don't have a clue as to they're found much in europe, but the real wild blueberries -smaller, with a stronger flavour - as found in rocky places with bad soil, like canadian shield ontario and quebec... not to mention utterly everywhere in newfoundland, even right in st. john's.. are uniquely delicious and well worth trying to root out if you're ever out there around august

fldsfslmn

excremental futurism
We should have a competition ... Who can come up with the best recipe that incorporates all the superfoods. I'd probably end up trying to make some sort of curry with blueberry chutney and oat pappadams.

As far as soy is concerned, there are some indications to suggest that the entities funding soy research are not entirely altruistic in their motives (e.g. dairy industry). A plant estrogen and an animal estrogen are, as I understand it, related only in the way they are made up chemically. We are not plants, therefore why would plant estrogen have an animal estrogen effect on us?

I think harm done by soy may be down to the intense processing. Today's mass-market soy is as processed as many of the foods we recoil against in our supposedly health-conscious consumption of soy meatballs and soy salami. The correct way to consume soy (and, I suspect, to benefit from its status as a superfood) is to examine the way Asian cultures have been consuming it for millenia (Luka OTM on this).

I went through a phase (lasted for months) of eating about two bricks of tofu a week. Half a brick (spicy and thinly-sliced in a sandwich) would not be unusual in a serving. After months and months of this (this was when I first began eating as a vegetarian), my body naturally turned against it. I feel somewhat sick if I eat too much of it now, indication that there is some aspect of it that does not agree with me. The only way I can enjoy it is the way it served to me in Asian cuisine -- almost like a garnish.

Last edited: