Nicolas Cage

version

In February 2011, Cage said that, at a certain point in his career, he realized that he had developed his own method of acting, which he described as "Nouveau Shamanic." He noted, "at some point I'll have to write a book" about it. Cage later explained that he drew the inspiration for the name from the book The Way of the Actor by Brian Bates, in which he read about the parallel between the ancient shamans and thespians. In other interviews Cage defined his acting style using terms such as “German expressionist” or “Western kabuki”.

According to The Guardian film critic Luke Buckmaster, "any casual observer can see that Cage is entertaining, charismatic and wildly flamboyant". Attributing it partly to the "well-cultured" background of Cage's family, Buckmaster said the actor "is clearly attracted to grotesque characters and is celebrated for his wild and unhinged approach to them. He has the presence of a leading man, and the eccentricities of a character actor." Actor Ethan Hawke claimed in 2013 that Cage is "the only actor since Marlon Brando that's actually done anything new with the art", crediting him for taking film audiences "away from an obsession with naturalism into a kind of presentation style of acting that I imagine was popular with the old troubadours." The film director David Lynch described him as "the jazz musician of American acting". Many critics have accused Cage of overacting. Others, including Cage himself, have described his intentionally extreme performances as "mega-acting."

version

Man claims 140-year-old photo proves Nicolas Cage is a vampire - https://metro.co.uk/2011/09/20/man-...hoto-proves-nicolas-cage-is-a-vampire-158465/

An online entrepreneur is selling a photo from 1870 on eBay which he says proves Nicolas Cage is a vampire. Jack Mord is asking for $1million for a photo of a man, believed to have lived in Tennessee around the time of the American Civil War, who has a resemblance to the Hollywood star. Mr Mord, a dealer in antique images, believes the photo is of Nicolas Cage himself and proves the actor is a member of the ‘walking undead’.

article-1316526718153-0e003cf000000578-790150_362x220.jpg

version

Oh, O.K. I thought you were being metaphorical about going on a grail quest.

Yeah, if you go to Glastonbury and go to the Chalice Well, there’s a spring that does taste like blood. I guess it’s really because there’s a lot of iron in the water. But legend had it that in that place was a grail chalice, or two cruets rather, one of blood and one of sweat. But that led to there being talk that people had come to Rhode Island, and they were looking for something as well.

That’s why you bought property in Rhode Island?

I don’t know if I’m going to say that’s why I bought the Rhode Island property. But I will say that is why I went to Rhode Island, and I happened to find the place beautiful. But yes, this had put me on a search around different areas, mostly in England, but also some places in the States. What I ultimately found is: What is the Grail but Earth itself?

I find that grail quests tend to be more fulfilling when they’re metaphorical.

Well, I knew that, and the metaphor for me is the earth. The divine object is Earth.

version

Occasionally everything in the universe aligns and creates a work of art that transcends the medium and defies conventional attempts to describe its beauty. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, in which Nicolas Cage plays Nicolas Cage, is one of those works of art [...]

As I mentioned, the film stars Cage as a fictional version of himself who is gunning for a role in an upcoming Quentin Tarantino film... Cage’s character, saddled with mounting debt, agrees to a gig attending a Mexican billionaire’s birthday party, only to discover that the billionaire is actually a cartel boss who has kidnapped the daughter of a prominent presidential candidate. The CIA has no choice but to ask for Cage’s help in taking the man down.

https://collider.com/the-unbearable...olas-cage-as-nicolas-cage-has-a-release-date/

linebaugh

Ya, I dug it. Highlights were the song in the tunnel before he goes to murder the boss, doom metal type thing, and when he inexplicably starts taking every drug in the murder house, literally raiding the fridge.

Seen its spiritual successor, Color Out if Space?

linebaugh

I think I liked it more than Mandy, theres no pretense about it. And some very cool cronenberg type body horror in the mix.

version

I liked the ambiguity and symbolism of Mandy. Cage being stabbed in the side with the spear tip, having his hand nailed to the floor and being bound in barbed wire (thorns) are obvious biblical references. The bikers could be genuinely demonic or just whacked out on acid. The line about the mystic in the water at the end. The imagery in general. Cheddar Goblin was sick too. The nods to other films: Friday 13th, Hatchet, Gremlins, Hellraiser, Se7en etc etc.

borzoi

i liked both mandy and color out of space a lot but there's a sort of prefab midnight movie quality to them that i find a little off-putting and using nic cage is part of that. like instead of really trying to respect his unique qualities they just kinda let him go wild for future twitter memes and alamo drafthouse t-shirts.

version

I think it's wilder on paper than it actually is. It sounds nuts if you list everything that happens, but it doesn't feel that nuts when you're actually watching it.

version

Also reminded me of Refn, particularly Only God Forgives, but more entertaining and less cruel.