Madonna

version

Anyone have any strong opinions either way? I'm not entirely sold on her as a performer as her dancing's sometimes a bit awkward, but there's just tune after tune after tune.

music_madonna.jpg

Last edited:

Leo

I'm torn, remember her as a sexy NY club kid dancing with the post-punk/new wave hipsters at danceteria and some early singles are still pretty great but then she released lots of filler. but once in awhile, the "later" stuff (but not really recent) still comes thru:

abba-assisted

version

I'm torn, remember her as a sexy NY club kid dancing with the post-punk/new wave hipsters at danceteria

Apparently she stepped in and stopped her label suing Sonic Youth when they covered Into the Groove back in the day. Always thought that was cool. There's a good pic of her and the Beasties on stage with water pistols too.

afe0eb6f8008ae6c073f3bfc2ad41df6.jpg

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Never used to give a shit as a kid, but then Sprinkles came along and I pretty much adopted her view on M as a soulless appropriator. But every now and then a tune will come on spotify and I'll find my feet tapping. But it's the production that gets me. Would love an album of those 80s instrumentals which were somewhere between house and boogie. On the other hand, I'd say if anyone in the pop world is likely to be working on behalf of beelzebub, it's got to be her.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Satanic person, but that run of early singles is mesmerising and definitive of the mid 80s. She knew exactly who to work with and exactly who to rip off. That's a talent in itself.

But going from 'Angel' or 'Lucky Star'

to this all-time low (for humanity)

is existentially depressing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
La Isla Bonita

Brits in med anthem
Actually pretty much my favourite of hers... hence the postie just brought me this lovely seven

(Can't share on my phone for some reason nut it's Large Plants - La Isla Bonita)

I think Jack from Wolf People is behind this take which surfaced last year on April Fool's Day as a file pretending to be the obscure original that Madonna covered. There was a positive response so they pressed it up and I guess I ordered it while drunk or something and forgot about it until months later when it showed (thanks Brexit).

Anyway, still sounding good. Not like those indie-schmindy ones that take themselves so seriously and seem to think only their version can bring out the genius of some pop tune, the fuzz on this is as over the top and joyful as pop can be in its own way and so it succeeds in exactly the way it should.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nice one. Er, no not normally, but I kinda used to so I have quite a lot of fuzz psych whatever type stuff and also loads of weird 70s sort of psych-disco or something, I dunno. But at Le Baron the other day I was booked to do a less full on weeknight type thing and so I did a night of psych etc sevens, which is (sadly?) not that common now. If I'd had that record then I would have played it as a warm-up type thing. I know the guys from Wolf People which is really why I bought that one... well, that's not fair cos i like it, but i don't know if I would have been aware of it otherwise.

But now I play a lot more electronic stuff... though to my mind (I hope not just mine) there is something of the same aesthetic linking the sounds. I would really like to find a way to start a set with stuff like this and lead seamlessly through other genres I like to acid ebm but I'm just not smart enough to make that work as I want it to.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That fuzz sounds is really nice. It's just a lovely sound to hear, it is one of the most three dimensional I've ever heard, it seems to be really soft and thick and it feels sort of warm and fluffy in your ear.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

I would really like to find a way to start a set with stuff like this and lead seamlessly through other genres I like to acid ebm but I'm just not smart enough to make that work as I want it to.

I'm sure you could do it. just make believe you're sitting at home going through a stack of those types of records and it'll end up flowing, taking on a life of its own.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I have been listening to this a fair bit recently. I'm not into what I would people call metal but I like this a lot. Again it has that warm enveloping fuzzy sound - I happened to mention that it was a good relaxing thing to put on as i drift of to sleep, precisely for that reason I suppose - and people looked at me rather strangely. But I think that they are wrong, their reaction is purely cos the band are categorised as metal (sort of) but if they'd actually give it a fair listen to it they would notice that the sound is warm and enveloping and almost like ambient, as a rule there are no disrupting loud bangs to wake you up. I do prefer it before the vocal comes in mind.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm sure you could do it. just make believe your sitting at home going through a stack of those types of records and it'll end up flowing, taking on a life of its own.
Well, thanks for the confidence booster. Of course if you're playing for an hour or two after someone else it's not the right time to try, but when we have the whole night and, yeah, you would it possible and I have tried to do as you say... I say try, I mean those records did get played as planned but I'm not sure I was entirely happy with it as a whole. Maybe I should persevere. We have a gig in Porto at the end of April I think where we are starting at 11 and playing until so maybe could have a crack then....