thirdform

pass the sick bucket
also this ambient black metal album is kinda boring how did i like this stuff in 2012.

Blut Aus Nord MoRT.

maybe i should listen with eyes closed.

CrowleyHead

To make Lo-Fi Black Metal without any musical direction is basically cosplay with soundtracking which a lot of those guys are doing. Most of metal does that these days.

There's a easy connection to that aesthetic and the infantilization of consumerism (and of metal) or what haves but sleep beckons larger and just stating it kind of provides easy breadcrumbs.

firefinga

idk about anyone else but I don't mean god or religion or spirituality in any cosmological sense, cos I don't believe in any of that stuff

it's talking about how people relate to the world around them, the mediums we use to try to explain the world to ourselves, the shorthand we use to abstract concepts

how is that not about digitization and the omnipresent internet?

Another interesting point, regarding the omnipresence of the internet - there is the old notion of God as the all-seeing-eye. The Snowden affair had strong resemblence to this idea - it was just that God got exchanged with the NSA spy programmes.

luka

Another interesting point, regarding the omnipresence of the internet - there is the old notion of God as the all-seeing-eye. The Snowden affair had strong resemblence to this idea - it was just that God got exchanged with the NSA spy programmes.

well this is EXACTLY the new theology which is being cooked up in silicon valley with everyone competing to play John the Baptist to the coming AI messiah.

i really think this is worth paying attention to (is lurid, is bizzare, is revealing) and i'm glad you brought it up.

how is the technology transformed and projected in our fantasies and fears? think along the lines of Mike Davis' treatment of pulp fiction and film in city of quartz. the apocalyptic element, the race wars etc etc

Last edited:

luka

i mean something like dam-funk is probably reactive right. so we could apply the same to black metal.

But what exactly is not reactive today?

And when does something start becoming reactive? the traditional trend cycles have all disipated.

to filter out the threads of the future we probably need a finer sieve than 'reactive' / 'active'
as everything is in a mixed condition, alloys and emulsions.

firefinga

well this is EXACTLY the new theology which is being cooked up in silicon valley with everyone competing to play John the Baptist to the coming AI messiah.

i really think this is worth paying attention to (is lurid, is bizzare, is revealing) and i'm glad you brought it up.

how is the technology transformed and projected in our fantasies and fears? think along the lines of Mike Davis' treatment of pulp fiction and film in city of quartz. the apocalyptic element, the race wars etc etc

Also "Alexa" .... very reminiscent.

And then you have those silicon valley presentations - looking like evangelists, priests - especially Steve jobs - the Messiah figure of the digital age.

luka

absolutely, the messianic fervour is real. these people are further gone than i am, and it's reinforced by the wealth, power, influence and fame. Geordie Rose is a great example

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
especially Steve jobs - the Messiah figure of the digital age.

Apple's got a lot to answer for wrt this topic. Aesthetic based lifestyles.

It's a computer.

"Technology should be beautiful"

Mhmm.

And not that it shouldn't. But there's some deep psychology behind the branding there. How many of you are on a mac right now?

luka

how does this song reflect your experience with computers, phones, the internet?

i think infantilisation is the precise reason this song doesn't work for me. there are aspects which catch and snag at me but mostly it is smooth and rounded and so doesn't leave any impression but a kind of hollowness. i think the relations it suggests and maps out are the province of the child and the idiot.

luka

and on that topic i want to copy and paste a series of emails i sent to flesh out what i mean by infantilisation in this context

there's a sense, isn't there, in which a piece of dance music is simulataneoulsy
a kind of score for a dance or a series of movements. albeit with a wide scope for interpretation.

and obviously it you trace it back to source it starts as a pattern of movements,
literal movements of limbs and fingers.so one set of movements makes a score
for another, more expressive, freer, but also to some degree circumscribed,
set of movements.

obviously this is part of what gets lost with dematerialisation/digitisation etc

this kind of pattern recognition and pattern learning and internalising is a large part
of the fun isn't it. when i last saw my little niece (shes about 6) she was obsessed with
the floss dance

because growing up is essentially a process of learning how to operate your
earth-suit, getting to grips with the technology. how to extend an arm and push
away or grab on, how to move towards or away from any given thing, how to
produce and modulate vocables etc etc etc and dance seems to be a fundamental
part of that process and an elaboration of that process. the kind of excess and refinement
and turning that process into game/art/social ritual.

and as i've said before, learning to move in time with another person as a precursor
to sex etc etc

which is part of why new rhythmic templates seem so vital but equally why
it seems arbitrary if it is not dance-functional (i.e. experimental). you sever it from its social and developmental function.

luka

so the experimental is in some sense that which isolates itself from the time-flow and its own moment of history, its co-ordinate points, it brackets that historical location and escapes into abstraction.

in so doing it opens up formal possibilities but also doesnt access the true, deep magic.

luka

This reminds me of the stuff we were discussing in that Wreck-It Ralph 2 thread a while back, you've got CG characters on screen who exist within screens in the world of the film as they're video game characters and they burrow even further by getting into the internet and interacting with characters from within other screens as well as referencing companies and products we interact with through screens irl.

yes i will have to watch this film. it sounds important.

luka

was so caught up in spinning my own bullshit i didnt notice how brilliant this line was

Vocoder is "man-machine", robotic, i.e. less than human

Auto-Tune is supra-human, hyper-soul

luka

musically you'd need to look to Alva Noto prototypes and tranceform I think. cold emotionless micro reflections. I guess the sort of Migos sound is more like losing ones virginity, amazing sex at first but gets emotionally limiting eventually. whereas with noto it's that gaping void. if anything the internet and the way its structured is a zone of fruitless intensification. all neurons maxed out.

this is also much more interesting than i thought at the time.

luka

youre saying accept the possible. fine. we do that. then what?

this is the fundamental misunderstanding of my position. i am saying we are currently in the process of manifesting the impossible. it is happening.

we are in a special moment of history. something new is being born but we need to be very clever and most of all exquisitely sensitive and perceptive in how we negotiate it

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well, i disagree. it's like eden's front house back house distinction thing. i think we are in a period that is so conformistly possible its nauseating.

luka

in 2018 i want music to serve as anti-weed in its sonics. in that sense i am kind of on a digitalised This Heat tip. music that stones you, but not in the way of being immersed. jagged and presentist.

cannabis has been reterritorialised. theres no way out through that door. it's a trap.

they open up exits where they can. they dont stay open forever. keep moving.

luka

well, i disagree. it's like eden's front house back house distinction thing. i think we are in a period that is so conformistly possible its nauseating.

that was my distinction. and yes it feels the walls are closing in but also the rules are changing. don't shut down. don't let depression be the loudest voice. keep the membrane porous and pay attention.

it won't happen all at once but i think it will happen. we might not all get out so stay alert.