Leo

I used to know khan when he worked at temple records, in the basement of liquid sky. quite a character, funny as hell.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
most of these 'psych classics' just sound like straightforward garage pop tunes now
I know it's pain to read thru threads + I often don't do it, but I said literally the same thing a few pages ago

I'm not defending 60s psych as psychedelic

by psychedelic guitar music, I mean Spacemen 3, Can, Les Rallizes Denudes, the first Ash Ra Tempel LP (posted upthread), Hawkwind

most of the guitar things patty mentioned (besides Soft Machine, no thx), plus some more

don't have time for a comprehensive list of my own rn

padraig (u.s.)

Bend Me Shape Me is tite tho I agree

one of those out of time tracks the first time you hear it you're like this came out in that year? no way

de facto proto-shoegaze/noise rock biz

padraig (u.s.)

as I mentioned upthread the true 60s psychedelic guitar music is things like Amon Duul I

parts of the Velvet Underground, and the Stooges (who started off, don't forgot, as super weird almost performance art)

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
speaking of which, why do i struggle to get acid at disco nights in the 2010s, esp after 2013? supply must have dried up. all them extended walter gibbons and shep pettibone mixes with the afrocuban drum bits are perfect to trip out on, not the italo stuff though...

Acid is easily found over here. There's a telegram group with several vendors selling menus of 10-20 products, often delivered to your door. Even slightly more obscure stuff like dmt and 2cb. It's a wild time to be a fiend.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Brilliant thread this. Shame I've not been able to contribute more.

In a move that may get me banned from Dissensus, I will admit to actually like a lot of the toytown psych stuff (that's what the childlike British stuff is often called). This has nothing to do with taking drugs though, I haven't for years. I think when I got back into record collecting, I discovered this stuff and it just struck me as extraordinary weird pop music. A lot of this stuff has great harmonies and hooks and the appeal is the same as listening to 80s soul in that way, just with a layer of out of time weirdness.

This is a classic case in point:

I write this well aware that I am I think the only Dad who has so far posted, and this is deep in the retro zone.

Something a bit heavier, that maybe has some of the geometry that Barty is talking about it:

Heard about this via Patrick Lundborg's Acid Archives which is a record collector's guide to rare 60s/70s psych and private press LPs. Lundborg was interesting - he was a real acidhead and was into some contemporary psychedelic ambient electronics stuff as well. His last book was about what he called the psychedelic renaissance taking place now. It was called Psychedelia - An Ancient Culture, A Modern Way Of Life though I've not read it.

Psychedelic culture is traced from its beginnings with the hallucinogenic celebrations at Eleusis 2,500 years ago, acknowledging in parallel the ancient shamanic plant drug cultures of South America and Mexico. A permanent alternative spiritual culture of the West is outlined as Lundborg follows the impulse from Eleusis through the Neoplatonism and pantheism of the Middle Ages, the rise of hermeticism and esoteric alchemy during the Renaissance, up to the highly visible psychedelic scenes of the modern world.

version

Another question - where is the psychedelic in music now? I did that thread about Acid rap but maybe that was just wishful thinking? Still, perhaps there's even something comparable in rap music that retains the formulaic concerns of more tradrap while making rappers sound like castratos from venus.

I've not heard many rappers talk about acid/lsd, it's more molly, xannies, sizzurp - but presumably these things, especially taken together (+ binbagfulls of industrial grade skunk) have psychedelic effects.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a23733912/asap-rocky-interview/

He was at his usual London abode, the penthouse of a Mayfair hotel, the kind of place that stores his stuff when he’s away and then replaces it exactly where he left it. And Skepta brought a neuroscientist with him, from University College London, who had prepared doses of AL-LAD, an analogue of LSD that only lasts for four hours. They took their drugs in the form of gummy sweets, and tripped and rapped and recorded maybe the best single on the album, all while their scientist friend observed and took notes. It’s another of those Rocky stories, like the Beverly Hills orgies, that just makes the world a slightly more curious place.

"Dude we were blasted! Like tripping balls. I remember we had this strobe light that Dexter [Navy, his Awgie director] brought — he was there, he can tell you — and I had these jelly beans in my hand, but I was so high, they were like Jack and the Beanstalk, glowy and magical. So I was like 'Skep! Skep!' And he comes running like it’s an emergency. And I open up my hand and go, 'Skeppy, they’re changing colour!'" He cracks up laughing.

"And Skep’s like, 'Rock, man, you’re mad, bruv, you’re mad!'" Rocky finds this story absolutely hilarious.

He recently announced, with typical swagger, that his ability to function under the influence of LSD was a sign of genius, because Steve Jobs and Einstein had done the same thing. But then Twitter told him that the Einstein part wasn’t true — or there was no proof anyway. So now he’s gone off the idea.

"But the Steve Jobs part is true!" I tell him.

"Yeah, but it’s not as good if Einstein isn’t in there, you know what I mean?" He laughs. "If Nikola Tesla didn’t do it, then fuck it!"

sufi

lala
i wrote to third the other week something like “they discovered drugs in the 60's and thought that the beatles and Syd Barret were psychedelic rather than just silly and whimsical..”

the notion that sgt pepper and Arnold lane are psychedelic is such a hard concept for me to grasp.

i don’t want this to be a shit on that music thread, it’d be fruitful to unpick how the psychedelia transmits- and doesn’t- to different listeners.

i’m not talking about a love supreme or pharaoh sanders (and of course ‘tomorrow never knows’ is a very much ahead of its time). i mean the doors, pink floyd, greatful dead, sgt pepper, et al. how are they psychedelic?
i distinctly remember disappointment and bewilderment on purchasing the 1st Flodd LP, 2nd hand, in the mid 80s having long heard of it's psychedelic cred - i was baffled to find it full of ditties about effing gnomes and so on, other syd barrett LPs had a little more that i could connect with. i attempted also to make contact with the like of the byrds and the dead, without really connecting at a transcendental level at all. and as folksy ballads about the scene and so on it was not hugely compelling.

the tweeness is like a cosy home counties Surrealism - they were throwing off the pop shackles by wierding out via what was then actually a viable art movement, though not one that is really seen as serious these days. very soon the scene developed it's own wild visual identity of glowing colours bubble writing etc what we think of as trippy these days

but! there was on that 1st LP "Interstellar overdrive" a singular track representing the pulsating throbbing kaleidoscopic drone manifestation of psychedelia. late 80s i saw hawkwind cover it with full oil lamp swirling lightshow etc and that for me was one end of that particular continuum (the crusty end). meanwhile there were kind of neo-interstellaroverdrive-ists like loop and spacemen3 who pushed the swirling heavy guitar drone to another sonic extreme - kind of the opposite end of that indie psychedelic spectrum to the creation lot leo mentioned above (with the likes of jesus and mary chain as the link one generation back - i found primal scream's claims to psychedelia more obscure)

each generation has been on a quest to define it's psychedelia, and the youth have had to get through a lot of overblown wishful thinking and miscommunications by stoned artists to find even the merest glimmers of illumination