AIN'T NOBODY VERSUS I FEEL FUR YOU

AIN'T NOBODY VERSUS I FEEL FUR YOU

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luka

PYN is not a million miles away from other early 90s posse cuts like headbanger or what's the scenario

luka

dematerialisation is in part the story of the decline of the 70's soundworld, with the 90's being this very interesting point in which technology and this hazy soundworld were married.

Yeah absolutely. The 90s a very weird Interzone in that respect.

sadmanbarty

the neptunes and i guess timbaland are interesting because they steely dan-ify that sound world. they'll have acoustic drums and strings and whatever else but by that point they're clean and in their own growing chambers. nothing bleeding into each other. nothing murky or swampy.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And made accoustic sounds sound electronic.

A lot of 80s pop/rock had these (once considered) horrible fake drum sounds, loads of echo - and now some of that stuff sounds more modern, less dated, precisely because of its artificiality.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've noticed that blue note records sound amazing. I'm not sure if this is how they made them but it seems like they recorded live performances in the studio. A lot of instrumental music you can tell it's been chopped up, multiple takes, etc. So it isn't really the sound of the real world. It's too perfect. You can tell maybe that these things aren't sharing the same space.

sadmanbarty

I've noticed that blue note records sound amazing. I'm not sure if this is how they made them but it seems like they recorded live performances in the studio. A lot of instrumental music you can tell it's been chopped up, multiple takes, etc. So it isn't really the sound of the real world. It's too perfect. You can tell maybe that these things aren't sharing the same space.

it's very stark comparing post-bop of the 60's to its 70's counterpart:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the neptunes and i guess timbaland are interesting because they steely dan-ify that sound world. they'll have acoustic drums and strings and whatever else but by that point they're clean and in their own growing chambers. nothing bleeding into each other. nothing murky or swampy.

I remember Uptown Funk sounded like it was made on a modern set of synths or something, it was so clean. Was it an interpolation? Or was the Steely Dan original just so clean?

luka

Night Rain shadows smoke lights reflected in puddles minor key noir it's definitely a shared aesthetic

luka

Although I don't think we would get anything like a Brexit civil war 50/50 split here