Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nepalese food is the tits. Tibetan is great too - or at least there's a great Tibetan restaurant in Bath; struggling to think where else I've had it. Oh, Amsterdam, come to think of it. The dumplings are indeed delicious.

I just had another jalfrezi cottage pie, with some steamed and buttered sugarsnap peas on the side.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well here most of the curry places are Nepalese and most are pretty similar to those in the East End really. But this one stood out.
Anyway, today had shakshuka for lunch in a kinda hipster Mediterranean place and then more plov for dinner, this time with a side salad and creamy dressing.

20191206_165645.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Portuguese style pork scratchings (I dunno what they call em) from the supermarket deli counter... so rich (or greasy if you prefer).

20191207_162601.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Are they different from English ones?
Well, that's an interesting question, at one point I became quite a connoisseur of pork scratchings in pubs, they vary wildly, some very hard, some with lots of chewy bits, and of course you can get "posh" ones at, I dunno, farmers' markets or whatever. I'm not so familiar with those and I think these ones for fairness should be compared with those as they were from the deli counter. We did get some in a packet from a supermarket once here and they were also super rich, girlfriend made us eat them over about four days once she noticed that the number of calories in pack meant that each piece contained four days supply of energy. These ones are even richer than those, they are practically dripping with fat and I feel a bit sick after eating them. But happy sick.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Made another cheese'n'spinach pie this evening.

Last night I just reheated the last of the S&MC I made a while ago and had it with some mash. I jazzed up the mash with grated cheddar, wholegrain mustard and some truffle-infused mayo. Pretty good though I say it myself.

Leo

back to visit the family this weekend, out to dinner on Saturday (cod with chorizo, little necks, fingerling potatoes) and chorizo and pepper pizza on Sunday night watching football.

home now, doing lots of roasted veg (carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, broccoli) and tahini over quinoa.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yesterday was Pasta Monday. Pennoni lisci, roast aubergine and onion, mint, capers, Bulgarian knockoff feta, red wine vinegar. Worked well.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Tonight I made a nice Georgian-style pilaf with sour cherries and saffron from the Silk Road book in the cookbook thread. A couple of vegetable sides with it - green beans and roast cauliflower. Solid dinner, and fairly straightforward - the hardest part was probably traipsing up and down Mill Road at lunchtime trying to find dried sour cherries at a sensible price.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Both of those sound really good, Slothrop.

Last night I made a metric fuckton of tagine with neck of lamb, apricots and butternut squash. I used several spice blends that we got as presents a few years ago from my de-facto brother-in-law. Unfortunately the names that he'd written on the jars (in English and Arabic, because he is a smarty-pants) had worn off, so I was going on look and smell, but they all that characteristic Moroccan smell to them, indicating a spiciness that is warm rather than hot: main notes being cinnamon, coriander, cumin and some (not loads of) red chili. It amazes me how a subtropical country like Morocco produced a cuisine that is so well suited to northern Europe in the winter. Although I guess much of it is pretty mountainous and probably gets quite nippy at times. Anyway, I chucked a bit of all of them in and it was really tasty. I love how lamb fat goes when cooked - it's definitely the best fat, in fact the only kind where just eating a lump of it is really nice, in a way that pork or beef fat isn't.

Tonight was cheesy past bake. All the favourites: bacon, ceps, walnuts and broccoli. The mushrooms do double duty because you can use the water they've been soaked in as part of the liquid for the cheese sauce. The sauce also had mustard in it. Experimented a bit by chucking in some chunks of stilton in addition to the grated cheddar, which worked pretty well.

God I fucking love winter cooking.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I did fuck all cooking tonight 'cos of work getting in late. A bean burger, oven chips, boiled courgette.

I end up doing more of this type of cooking than I like due to cooking for two kids (one fussy) and a vegetarian and myself.

I might post a few more of Dan's Meals of Misery as the weeks go on.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Chicken salad around lunch and then a Sudanese falafel/chicken pita thing with peanut butter sauce this eve. Both Tip Top McGhee

Chicken is the only meat I'd miss if I went veggie

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Straight from work to the climbing wall tonight, so dinner was a ham salad bap that I bought at lunchtime.

Leo

too lazy again to really cook, so opted for beans on toast, cheese, veg sausage and two scrambled eggs.