luka

More brilliant than the sun has got a great bit about these film dialogue samples. Can't remember what it says, just remember that it's great

droid

I suppose he did give us Candyman which is a stone cold classic. Super smart, subversive, genuinely scary and brutal. Best horror film of the 90s Id say.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've never read the books but I think Pinhead kinda became more prominent cos he (or she I suppose) was the most popular one in the film. I think (though prepared to be corrected) that the original idea was that there were just several equal and nameless cenobytes but he made Pinhead a bigger and bigger character.

poetix

we murder to dissect
The second one's one of the nastiest films I've ever seen. There's this evil doctor who gives a lunatic who thinks he's covered in bugs a straight razor and lets him go to town on himself on this weird, haunted mattress.

I was with a friend years ago, both of us very stoned indeed, and we were flicking through the cable channels looking for something to watch. We see Disney's Aladdin is on, note it for later reference, and carry on scanning. Eventually we get Hellraiser II, and this scene. I watch as much as I can bear, and then literally beg my friend to turn back to Aladdin.

I like the first one a lot, although it's very moralistic in that 80s "sex is bad and conjures uncontrollable monsters" sort of way. Agree with Luka that the world of the Cenobites is a much more interesting place to visit, especially with the giant Leviathan obelisk thing blasting the landscape with soul-obliterating darklight. When I arrive in hell, I hope it's like that. The third one is all right, but has succumbed to knowing camp to a degree that diminishes the bracing nastiness of the first two. Pinhead isn't meant to be the star, he's more like a master of ceremonies - of course he gets some of the best lines, but the films are nevertheless not supposed to be about him.

poetix

we murder to dissect
the 2nd one's good. the first one's rubbish. its just set in this house in west london. the 2nd one the go to cenobte world and it's all magical

I'm not entirely convinced barty isn't an alter ego of luka's though, like his daemon in one of those Pullman books, although he's one of those weird characters who mistreats their daemon from time to time for a laugh. Has anyone ever seen them in the same room?

IdleRich

IdleRich
the films are nevertheless not supposed to be about him.
That's what I mean, but they kinda became about him, at least in the popular imagination. And, as I understand it (without having read them), Barker sort of reacted to that by making him a larger character in later books.

luka

I'm not entirely convinced barty isn't an alter ego of luka's though, like his daemon in one of those Pullman books, although he's one of those weird characters who mistreats their daemon from time to time for a laugh. Has anyone ever seen them in the same room?

Simon Reynolds has multiple times but he was very drunk so possibly hallucinating. Ditto Simon Silverdollar Circle.