Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
mournful turkish disco nugget. slept on. one of them tunes that make me want to fall in love. but it's not possible. that istanbul does not exist pattycakes. this is what u ain't picking up. sit back and feel nostalgia for something you never experienced.

Trillhouse

Have you heard of British composer and electronic music pioneer Albert Alan Owen before? He's somewhat of an unsung heros it seems. Maybe he wasn't prolific enough to garner much attention but his back catalogue deserves attention.

This is him in modern impressionist mode

but he also made stuff like
this
&
this

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
mournful turkish disco nugget. slept on. one of them tunes that make me want to fall in love. but it's not possible. that istanbul does not exist pattycakes. this is what u ain't picking up. sit back and feel nostalgia for something you never experienced.

Third, vaguely connected question - are there any good overviews of the Turkish 60s/70s/80s psych period* (but not necessarily limited to that, incl. disco etc) that you know of?

*Aside from your thread on here, obvs!

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Third, vaguely connected question - are there any good overviews of the Turkish 60s/70s/80s psych period* (but not necessarily limited to that, incl. disco etc) that you know of?

*Aside from your thread on here, obvs!

Indeed i do. Daniel Spicer's book is the best treatment of the subject in English. though be warned he's listening with avant-jazz ears - no problem for me but might be for others...

sufi

lala
I hadn't heard this in years and it suddenly popped into my head earlier. My Dad had a couple of the Womble albums and I used to run around listening to them as a little kid. There's a tune on one of them about a giant made out of rubbish and pollution which I used to get scared of and hide behind the sofa.
I loved these as a little un https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/19/borribles-childrens-books-reissued-1980s-riots - basically wombles re-imagined as giant mutant rats with pointed clubs battling the wild children of london in the sewers ... still remember when they drown the womble boss and his last cry "like a fart in a bathtub"

sadmanbarty

love that song. never heard the 12 inch before.

sent this to luke once. he chose to ignore the message it was meant to convey. forever unrequited.

crying to my soul.

sadmanbarty

80's gay angst is very rich artistically, but i've never really seen it talked about.

arhtur russel, this song, probably about half of channel 4 films back in the day.

the bloke from pet shop boys had a nice thing about their the song 'go west' back when the village people did it was about finding refuge in san francisco, whereas by the time the pet shop boys got to do it, it'd been rendered as some sort of mythical escape from aids.

philidelphia probably killed gay angst as an artistic presence. cheapened it. the unknown t of gay angst.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
bloody hell, that intro. Sounds even better in a radio set where it's been compressed to fuck (seemingly)

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

the cry of mother earth. gives me chills when it crops up in sets.

i like the top youtube comment as well:

Paul Ian Ward
Paul Ian Ward
8 months ago
A sweeter vertion much tastier like mr kiplin says excedanly good yesss

it's like one of those things someone would say on pirate radio that reynolds would spunk his pants over. proper jack the ripper writing.

also like how it's written as though with mdma induced jaw lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.