The Lost Futures Thread

sufi

lala
I was thinking about this after eden crucial post about Dub's lost future http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=14785&p=386098#post386098

what happened there? there were some artists who seemed to just do electro synth dub, or sort of aba-shanti type dedicated sound system dub, but the whole dub version culture just dwindled away
like it collided with the future, it didn't really make it through when electronic music happened during the 90's

or did i just lose track?
in which case hit me up!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
By definition the future can't really arrive. It ceases to be the future if does.

this is what I've been trying to say all along on this bord but people seem to take umbrage with it. the thing is the hardcore continuum was basically the 50s-70s windrush generations music, for a past that was lived. todays music is basically the music of the 90s techno utopians. xanax on tap, pint of tindr, bit of okcupid, home delivery. it's what the cybernetic people wanted and then some, but because their critiques of consumer society were formulated in the 70s-early 80s, they still had to approach the acid house revolution as their novel ideas being realised, rather than them just catching up to the technological capabilities. a truly future music, well, it would have to be divorced from all referents entirely. the concrete guys tried to do this but you can hear the themes of classical composition and that education still being there. futurism has always been an imaginary because the species productive capabilities always moves faster than its consciousness at any given point. put it this way, we don't make the world we live in for ourselves, we set our children into motion and shuffle off this mortal coil. by the time our real impact is felt in the world, we have spent our wages and been buried in our graveyards (I mean literally dead not metaphorically.) Today I am not the change I want to be but living in the existence unconsciously determined for me by the previous generation. this is unavoidable.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
for me 90s eurotrance is not very futuristic. because I have a different imaginary of futurism. futurism is many times associated with flashy sparkling synthesis or a kind of bladerunner dystopianism. but what about if futurism to someone is ultra-pulsating electricity, the body being forced to move outside of its psychic confines. cognitive obliteration through magnetic stimulation.

sufi

lala
i very much liked luka's line on that other contentious thread about our current anxiety being caused by the shadow of the future falling over us
(but what is the light behind it?)

sadmanbarty

this is what us lot always willed uk funky to become, but it never did. it remained a one man genre. funkystepz 'for u' was the only real imitator.

it'd have been great if there'd been whole swathe of these tracks with angular rhythms and can't-really-tell-what-it-is sounds.

also that slow attack on it was very prescient; we went from the staccato of hardcore the this proto-dematerialised smooth, boardelress timbre.

in a way drill was what dissensus was hoping uk funky would become. it's essentially uk funky rhythms, but darker with nuumatic bass science and mc's over the top. and like those apple tracks it has the mournful, slow attack sounds on the top.