version

version

arca1000000's profile picture
arca1000000
Verified
For 2 years my music will be playing in the lobby of the newly reopened @themuseumofmodernart . It’s such an honor to be able to compose for an AI that will never make the music play the same way twice - it’s a live transmission forever in mutation— check out the brilliant https://bronze.ai for more info
———
Durante 2 años mi música va a sonar en el lobby del @themuseumofmodernart q ha reabierto sus puertas nuevamente. Es un honor haber podido componer para una inteligencia artificial que nunca repetirá mia composiciones de la misma manera- es un flujo siempre cambiante. Investiguen sobre el brillante proyecto https://bronze.ai for more info
———
Thanks to the Parreno studio for trusting me and giving us carte blanche throughout the composition process, it’s amazing to think of how many people that don’t know about my work will have my sounds passing through their body as they pass through the space into the MoMA. Thanks to everyone involved especially @damienqd ! It’s an honor 💖
The piece is titled Echo (Danny the Street) by Philippe Parreno who was commissioned to produce the work and he asked me to create this entity together with him. I was happy to suggest the word Echo based on the myth of Narcissus and Echo— look into how it unfolds, it’s one of my favorite myths! Thanks Philippe! @themuseumofmodernart
ps the mirror vid is me responding to @jordanmatthewolfson mirror tran ce

Leo

arca1000000's profile picture
arca1000000
Verified
For 2 years my music will be playing in the lobby of the newly reopened @themuseumofmodernart . It’s such an honor to be able to compose for an AI that will never make the music play the same way twice - it’s a live transmission forever in mutation— check out the brilliant https://bronze.ai for more info
———
Durante 2 años mi música va a sonar en el lobby del @themuseumofmodernart q ha reabierto sus puertas nuevamente. Es un honor haber podido componer para una inteligencia artificial que nunca repetirá mia composiciones de la misma manera- es un flujo siempre cambiante. Investiguen sobre el brillante proyecto https://bronze.ai for more info
———
Thanks to the Parreno studio for trusting me and giving us carte blanche throughout the composition process, it’s amazing to think of how many people that don’t know about my work will have my sounds passing through their body as they pass through the space into the MoMA. Thanks to everyone involved especially @damienqd ! It’s an honor 💖
The piece is titled Echo (Danny the Street) by Philippe Parreno who was commissioned to produce the work and he asked me to create this entity together with him. I was happy to suggest the word Echo based on the myth of Narcissus and Echo— look into how it unfolds, it’s one of my favorite myths! Thanks Philippe! @themuseumofmodernart
ps the mirror vid is me responding to @jordanmatthewolfson mirror tran ce

wow, I was there on Monday and listened to that for a few minutes in the lobby, had no idea who it was. pretty experimental/noise-y, no beats or anything.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I love boomkat reviews for the artists they like, it's like snorting some good meth, but then the music generally ends up being fairly weedy which is a shame.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I must say that the sound design (as someone upthread referred to it) on some of this stuff sounds about as modern as music possibly can to my ears. The tunes tend to be musically less interesting, though - less than the sum of their parts. That's why I think the best stuff from this world has been serving vocalists (Charlie XCX, Kelela, FKA, Bjork...), because that tends to mean there's a necessity for a strong melody/structure.

As others have said, perhaps there's also something distasteful about just how polished and perfect it all sounds. (I think this was actually what people were saying about Special Request's jungle tunes.) There's always this sense of cavernous space - cavernous but also almost like shrink wrapping around the sounds. Again, this makes it modern - an evocation of modern technology.

Think of how wild and unruly 'Mr Bean' sounds. I wonder if it would sound less so if it didn't also sound a bit shoddily mixed and mastered?

Is this hyperreal sound design the path forward, or a dead-end?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I must say that the sound design (as someone upthread referred to it) on some of this stuff sounds about as modern as music possibly can to my ears. The tunes tend to be musically less interesting, though - less than the sum of their parts. That's why I think the best stuff from this world has been serving vocalists (Charlie XCX, Kelela, FKA, Bjork...), because that tends to mean there's a necessity for a strong melody/structure.

As others have said, perhaps there's also something distasteful about just how polished and perfect it all sounds. (I think this was actually what people were saying about Special Request's jungle tunes.) There's always this sense of cavernous space - cavernous but also almost like shrink wrapping around the sounds. Again, this makes it modern - an evocation of modern technology.

Think of how wild and unruly 'Mr Bean' sounds. I wonder if it would sound less so if it didn't also sound a bit shoddily mixed and mastered?

Is this hyperreal sound design the path forward, or a dead-end?

I actually think this is a really good post but I need to go for a huge shit.

short answer. yes, but no, no, yes and its the future.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
alright so. so yes in terms of space and the field of the ears, the stereo panning, the compression etc etc the sound design is modern. musically and sonically, however, it's still stuck in william gibson's cyberpunk world. what these producers fail to realise is that with affordable personal computing technology it is relatively easy to make nano sound, particle like, bits and bights of information, and hence explore the tempo ranges between 220-400, 600-950 bpm. you've made the point about information overload, but how do people live with it? because deep down we all know we can't change the world unless something like a world war materialises. not because we're dooped by false consciousness or whatever, but simply if we truly put our hearts and souls into believing we could change the world we wouldn't be able to get out of bed. life requires us to block it out. and this is the nature of speed. slowing that doesn't make you more aware or woke or heals you, it just adds a poison that people dilligently avoid.

catalog

is james ferraro also considered to be conceptronica? i remember liking far side virtual.

yeah definitely. the early stuff he did i'm sure he's said in an interview that it was all scores for films, that never got made. and the latest thing is billed as an opera or something?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Anyone else think 'Conceptitronica' would be a better word for this?

'Conceptronica' feels like its missing a syllable.

Odd that Oneohtronix Point Never wasn't mentioned in that article. probably one of the most influential artists playing about in this way, and the most fully realised show with MYRIAD, which is fucking great. Weird and satisfying.

version

That was the first OPN album I really couldn't get along with, I particularly hated that Babylon tune. There's one called Monody on one of the EPs that I love though and that bonus track, Trance I, that sounds like his older stuff is sick.

Yeah I only go back to 2/3 tunes and trance 1 is one of them. But the live musicians and visual show bring things well beyond that album, full on multi-sensory (even smells) and immersive. He's very likeable in interviews, goofy and self-aware. Real deal authentic conceptronica bro.