Modafinil/Smart Drugs

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Should I reorder modafinil Y/N

Should I go on a week-long modafinil binge and write my entire NaNoWriMo 30k opus on Dissensus, across many threads simultaneously
Did you see the Dissensus NaNoWriMo fanfiction we did a couple years back?

sufi

lala
fanfic you say?
#bravebutfoolish

Reactions: sus

mind_philip

saw the light
If you need nigh-on unlimited powers of attention, do dual n-back in the mornings - no need to pill-pop. Might take a while for it to start working tho'

It can also work for anxiety.
I just tried this. +1 and +2 are pretty easy, +3 is immediately almost impossible. There's a 20 day challenge app that seems pretty good, so will try and stick with it.

mixed_biscuits

I don't think so. One could tax working memory by carrying out long mental multiplications for instance, but the game has the additional features of requiring complete focus, constant updating of memory content and use of recall, as well as a metronomic regularity, which last I think helps it serve as a calmative.

mixed_biscuits

The important thing is to be playing at a level which is a challenge while being more feasible than not. P.S. DO NOT PLAY on an unchallenging level as this will make your working memory worse (in my experience).

sufi

lala
I don't think so. One could tax working memory by carrying out long mental multiplications for instance, but the game has the additional features of requiring complete focus, constant updating of memory content and use of recall, as well as a metronomic regularity, which last I think helps it serve as a calmative.
oh good
one of my faves is 512x512 (how many squares on a https://mathworld.wolfram.com/TetramagicSquare.html)
that sum seems to tax me to the edge of my mental arithmetic skills, and i can never remember the correct answer

i wonder if reciting memorised verses has a similar effect, or what effect it has if not

sufi

lala
The important thing is to be playing at a level which is a challenge while being more feasible than not. P.S. DO NOT PLAY on an unchallenging level as this will make your working memory worse (in my experience).
Is this not all a bit quant anyhow? like you can just expand capacity like a computer
if you increase focus on mechanistic recall your empathy circuits will atrophy

ghost

I love this old Erowid post about modafinil: https://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=92932

I think people think modafinil is lighter than the other stims, doesn't impact you as much, lets you function normally.

Unfortunately, the truth is that it's just a drug that has a couple interlocking effects:
- stimulant
- memory formation impairment
- not noticing peripheral sorts of perception (this is I think why it works such magic on tired people—but it also makes you not realize the side effects)

So you'll run up a set of stairs, and you won't notice yourself feeling exhausted. You will be panting.

Your social graces go through the absolute floor, you say absurd things with no regard for who you're talking to or how they react, but mostly you don't notice people looking at you weird, and even if you did, you don't really remember it so clearly, you know?

IMO—it may not be the worst drug out there, but it's much more sneaky than a lot of them. You'll also, like most stims, write absolutely dogshit prose on it.

ghost

On the other hand, I got a discount for using bitcoin in 2014 on Modafinilcat and the change I had left over afterwards made me a pretty sizable chunk.

Attachments

• cbScreenshot 2023-09-08 at 16.48.56@2x.png
    cbScreenshot 2023-09-08 at 16.48.56@2x.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Haha

sus

I had half a bitcoin left over from an MDMA buy summer of 2014 and I never kept the key info because I was an even bigger idiot than I am now

ghost

people are gonna miss the erowid link, and it's a shame because it's so good

it's entitled "Ruined My Life"

the guy goes on a two year long modafinil bender so intense that he has basically no memory of any of it, ending only when his wife divorces him

he's taking 350 mg—about 4x the dose you'd take for a 16 hour work bender, but sometimes people only take 50mg, so you're talking 7x a normal dose—every day for two years

plus 800mg piracetam for good measure (also rather heroic)

It has also had memory effects, so that I cannot remember a huge amount, maybe the vast majority, of what happened when I was on it -- and people, especially my ex, tell me all sorts of things I did and said that sound completely out of character for me, things I can't imagine ever doing. So in the end I feel like Rip Van Winkle—as if I went to sleep one day and entered a two year tunnel, during which someone else took over my body and ruined my life, and then I woke up on the other end of it and now have to deal with the consequences. As a result of that I have spent the past 4 months having a kind of breakdown, drinking far too much and in the end completely alienating my ex and all of her friends and family. My life has been completely destroyed, and people who before thought I was a great person now think I am a frightening lunatic.