The Event : How Racist Are You?

credit crunch

_________
Tarted up is maybe an unfortunate turn of phrase but anyone can be sex starved, needy and crave attention..... and Hitler was a man.

credit crunch

_________
oh aye, and said little Hitler was a primary school teacher in the youth. She perfected her vile technique on terrified little kids. Lovely:(

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Tarted up is maybe an unfortunate turn of phrase but anyone can be sex starved, needy and crave attention..... and Hitler was a man.

Yes, but what would any of that have to do with an experiment about racism? Jeez.

You Godwinned yourself and made yourself look like a completely sexist freak all in one fell swoop.

If you disagree with the methodology used in the experiment, you disagreed with it. No need to go projecting all sorts of crazy sexualized motives onto the woman. (This is a chauvinist's preferred mode of maintaning social control over uppity women, I've noticed: a woman who is a professional and does something he doesn't like really just desperately needs to get fucked--presumably by him, of course.) Her gender and her sexuality really have little to do with the whole thing.

Last edited:

credit crunch

_________
Yes, but what would any of that have to do with an experiment about racism? Jeez.

You Godwinned yourself and made yourself look like a completely sexist freak all in one fell swoop.

If you disagree with the methodology used in the experiment, you disagreed with it. No need to go projecting all sorts of crazy sexualized motives onto the woman. (This is a chauvinist's preferred mode of maintaning social control over uppity women, I've noticed: a woman who is a professional and does something he doesn't like really just desperately needs to get fucked--presumably by him, of course.) Her gender and her sexuality really have little to do with the whole thing.

My werd I have touched a nerve. Maybe sex starved was a little much, but her entire demeanor really reminds me of all the nuns and priests I have encountered in education. The most sinister, wicked, aggressive and controlling people in the education system.

Sexism is another of the great water tight accusations employed by those without a reasonable argument I feel.
And 'projection' is more psychological rubbish fer faux-intelektuals.......perhaps some grammer and spelling mistakes could also be added to ur arsenal?

nomadthethird

My werd I have touched a nerve. Maybe sex starved was a little much, but her entire demeanor really reminds me of all the nuns and priests I have encountered in education. The most sinister, wicked, aggressive and controlling people in the education system.

Sexism is another of the great water tight accusations employed by those without a reasonable argument I feel.
And 'projection' is more psychological rubbish fer faux-intelektuals.......perhaps some grammer and spelling mistakes could also be added to ur arsenal?

I'm simply calling it like I see it: you've managed to Godwin yourself and make your own sexual obsession with this woman (and her apparent "power" issues) very apparent all in one go. Impressive.

I think you've done a pretty good job of making yourself look like the brainless and socially clueless one here. No help from anybody else needed, really.

nomadthethird

And yes, as a woman and a professional, unfortunately I've had to deal with more than my fair share of pathetic sexists who make statements like yours above-- not always directly, but it's always with us.

vimothy

yurp
Second point - the programme demonstrated the blindingly apparent, yet generally taboo, point that we have not absorbed that lesson at all in any profound way (ie recognising the pervasiveness of prejudice). The people who were resistant betrayed their ignorance of this lesson (and their inability to comprehend being the victims of holistic prejudice) at every turn. Sure it was a different setting to 60s America, but ignorance persists, and this programme neatly uncovered issues that are simply rarely, if ever, addressed by the mainstream media (passing being an obvious one).

I agree to an extent, but I think it is slightly complicated, or perhaps that we are slighrtly more compromised. The problem is rather that we have absorbed in part the lessons of the 1960s...

vimothy

yurp
No room for debate or considered discussion.

But that was the whole point, no?

The methods used by that that little sex starved Hitler proved absolutely nothing... The only purpose of that exercise was to feed her needy ego and get the attention she so craves, through another example of American human bear baiting techniques tarted up as a 'radical new approach in modern psychology' :

Come on man, I'm sure you have more to offer than this.

massrock

The problem with this is that racism is institutionalized, it's built into the economic, social, and political structures we live in, and so it's unavoidable. We participate in it all the time without even having to act at all, or feel genuine "hate."
Yes, to be fair this was discussed towards the end and was I assume what the exercise was intended to reveal. This lady's method being I guess to insert herself in an exaggerated role of "the system", to the extent of bullying unwilling "oppressors" into playing the mean oppressor role.

It did seem a bit confused though. The terminology moved back and forth from being about the game assignations of "brown eyes" and "blue eyes" to being about "white people" and "black people." Also having no non-white people on the "oppressed" side made it less clear if a general demonstration of prejudice and power relations was being made or if it was a simple case of role reversal which I think is more likely to throw it back on to existing assumptions without as much likelihood of reassessment.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

Yes, to be fair this was discussed towards the end and was I assume what the exercise was intended to reveal. This lady's method being I guess to insert herself in an exaggerated role of "the system", to the extent of bullying unwilling "oppressors" into playing the mean oppressor role.

It did seem a bit confused though. The terminology moved back and forth from being about the game assignations of "brown eyes" and "blue eyes" to being about "white people" and "black people." Also having no non-white people on the "oppressed" side made it less clear if a general demonstration of prejudice and power relations was being made or if it was a simple case of role reversal which I think is more likely to throw it back on to existing assumptions without as much likelihood of reassessment.

That's really strange-- if they wanted to do a black and white role play, they should've just done that and ditched the eye color premise. And yeah, it would've been better to mix up the races on each side in that case. And then ask the participants to act out a given scenario the way they think it would happen in "real life" if they were either black or white and in x role.

Reminds me a little of that scene in the American version of the Office where they have "racial sensitivity training" that turns out to be a big mess.

Sounds as if maybe what happened was the participants were supposed to keep the discussion of oppression limited to eye color, but because all the blue eyes were white and the brown eyes weren't, lines were drawn along race as well, and the race distinction sort of took over the experiment.

grizzleb

That's really strange-- if they wanted to do a black and white role play, they should've just done that and ditched the eye color premise. And yeah, it would've been better to mix up the races on each side in that case. And then ask the participants to act out a given scenario the way they think it would happen in "real life" if they were either black or white and in x role.

Reminds me a little of that scene in the American version of the Office where they have "racial sensitivity training" that turns out to be a big mess.

Sounds as if maybe what happened was the participants were supposed to keep the discussion of oppression limited to eye color, but because all the blue eyes were white and the brown eyes weren't, lines were drawn along race as well, and the race distinction sort of took over the experiment.
Well I think this is where my problem with the experiment probably stems from...

sufi

lala

#i assumed that was because it's an arbitrary divide, which will place the people who have & havent experienced discrimination in different camps,

i missed the start so i guess i probably missed all the justificating psychological claptrap, but when i tuned in it was pure telly magic on a subject that's rarely confronted openly.
watching how defensive and entrenched the blue eyed white people became was a joy, raging against the experiment, dissembling, throwing tantrums - it demonstrated the lack of insight & empathy that underlies most discrimination,
i wonder what the viewing figures were like, i spose the hellbent gobfrothing racists will write it off as propaganda, but it's not about them, it's more interesting to see how the 'i'm not racist, but' types respond,

grizzleb

The desire to both be on the moral high ground and enjoy bellitling people in the process is the dangerous thing here in the first place. The video they played where they had that women crying her eyes out was horrible. Cruelty for fun under the guise of moralism.

nomadthethird

The desire to both be on the moral high ground and enjoy bellitling people in the process is the dangerous thing here in the first place. The video they played where they had that women crying her eyes out was horrible. Cruelty for fun under the guise of moralism.

But isn't your concern sort of misplaced? Who do you suppose is "enjoying" this? And how would you be justified in making that kind of assumption?

I mean, how sorry do I feel for somebody who's crying because they've been backed into a corner and exposed as a racist? Nowhere near as sorry as I feel for the millions of black and latino and ethnic minority identified people who experience actual racism everyday.

grizzleb

The video didn't really show her exposed as a racist at all though. It just showed that women shouting at her calling her 'worthless'. I wouldn't mind if it did expose them as racist but it didn't really.

I suppose that the woman who conducts these things is enjoying herself, and the people who she gives the right to abuse others for a few hours.

nomadthethird

The video didn't really show her exposed as a racist at all though. It just showed that women shouting at her calling her 'worthless'. I wouldn't mind if it did expose them as racist but it didn't really.

I suppose that the woman who conducts these things is enjoying herself, and the people who she gives the right to abuse others for a few hours.

AHA

I get it.

This really is about normativity.

Women aren't supposed to be "mean" like that. Nobody is, but especially not women. She's a "vile little sex starved Hitler"...she must be...otherwise, how could a woman, a woman of all people, make people cry (boohoo:() for reasons so trivial as an experiment. She couldn't possibly really care about racism, and want to show people who have lived with white privilege how it feels to be on the receiving end of discrimination day in and day out, to have your self-esteem minimized from the day you're born, to be told that you're worthless over and over and over...

Have you ever seen the research that was done into black children and black and white dolls? Clearly the indoctrination runs deep; black children will throw away black dolls and call them "bad" and "dirty" from ages as young as 2, in favor of white dolls. Unsurprisingly, white children have similar reactions.

There must be something desperately wrong with that psychologist, though. Clearly, she's the one with the problems. How dare she.

grizzleb

Because it's a woman who conducts the experiment, if I disagree with her methods and her experiment it must be because she's a woman? Come on, that's mental. I wouldn't liked to have seen a guy doing that either.

And again, I'm probably just more sensitive to ends not marrying with means than I should be, but whatever. I'm too much of an idealist then. Yes racism is shit, but is the cruelty justified? That's what I take issue with. I never said anything about sex starved hitler either...