iphone apps

cushtilla

Guardian app is definitely my most used app. It's sick.

If you're looking for a flat, find a property has a GPS search, which is pretty useful. So if you're in an area you quite like you can see what's on the market in that surrounding area. Although I have found the location thing fails if there's not a strong signal...

Paper Toss is a pretty good game. (free)

I use echofon for Twitter. It's free and uncomplicated, and never seems to fail... and i seem to return to it, despite having twitterific and twitter's own app... (crazy how late they were on making their own app!)

Tonepad can be fun to pass a couple board minutes

AND MY BIGGEST SUGGESTION has to be iSwap Faces. Hours and hours of fun switching your faces with your mates. It costs a quid but it's worth it.

massrock

it's all about Beatmaker - like a mini MPC for your phone.
I have to give a shout out to Jasuto Pro. It's a modular synth app that's actually kind of amazing. Very high quality and with some really interesting unique features. The interface is similar to the Reactable where you have nodes that you can move around and automate, with their position affecting how they interact.

Also just started playing around wih TouchOSC (with Livecontrol) for remote control of MIDI and computer based stuff. Like a Lemur for 3.99.

massrock

Other music ones -

SunVox - Tracker style sequencer with a modular patching bit, a lot like Buzz. It's cross-platform as well so you can work on stuff on a PC / Mac etc. and move the files across. Kind of fiddly on the iPhone though tbh.

Aurora - Basically a Tenori-On clone. Not quite there yet, a bit flaky, but it's fun. A bit pricey too.

iGendyn - Free synth supposedly based on some Xenakis ideas. Makes nasty noises and uses the accelerometer.

TC Electronic PolyTune - Free polyphonic guitar tuner.

Some games I've found to be good -

SmartGo - Very good Go app.

Spirit - Simple but beautifully executed classic arcade style game that makes the best of the format. Vector style graphics like Tempest or something.

SlotZ - 3D slot racer. The simplest of controls (accelerate) but really fun and surprisingly nuanced. You can build your own tracks too.

TheDeep - Impressive and cheap pinball emulator.

Last edited:

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
im pretty sure im not gonna develop this, so may as well put it out there. what i think the iphone/pad really needs is a piece of hardware that you can plug midi cables into. i mean all this wifi control is nice, but whats the point when your already using a laptop? but a midi input and simple sequencing program could mean you could plug your keyboards and other hardware into it for live use, and store songs/keyboard lines/riffs/ effects presets in your phone. i think that would be much more useful then syncing with a laptop that already can do far more then an iphone ever could. and you dont have to fiuddle too much with that tiny screen live, just use it as a data storage/controller.

some day, hopefully...

massrock

There's the AKAI Synthstation which should be out soon. Not sure how 'open' it's going to be as a general purpose MIDI interface but I need a new portable USB keyboard and the iPhone software looks really very nice. A lot like the Korg DS-10.

Line6 have a MIDI interface for the iPhone as well. I think it's limited to use with their software at the moment but they've said they will provide details for other developers.

Also supposedly Apple have said that the camera adaptor thing for the iPad will be useable for MIDI i/o in some way.

OSC seems like a good way to go.

Last edited:

ether

rebirth app. is a major disappointment. the interface is so fiddly and badly designed its rendered unusable. i wouldn't bother with it, I've had it a month and used it about twice. nice idea though

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Angry Birds

+2

still on the quest to 3 star every level.

not an app, but the mobile version of tvcatchup.com is pretty wicked.

also second guardian app.

what's people's favoured RSS reader?
Not found a really nice clean and reliable one since coming back from jailbroken phone

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Other recent apps that i like:

flight control- addictively simple game, where you guide multiple planes into land on an airstrip inna airtraffic controller god style.

national trust- find national trust properties/places near you.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Words With Friends is awesome- scrabble alike playable against others over network. Great fun.

Powerlight- uses LED flash as a torch. Could shine it in Woebot's eyes to REALLY piss him off. (iPhone 4 only, obv)

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I just use Google reader for RSS.

Wordpress app has improved, but mainly just use it to delete spam comments these days. :eek:

I have about 3 apps for reading message boards and they are all pretty crap:

proboard lite
touchbb
tapatalk RO