Fuck, it's cold.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/YongLiLiang.shtml

Vostok, Antarctica is the home of the coldest temperature on Earth at a cool -89 °C (183 K). At the Russian research station the temperature is regularly in the -30 to the -60 °C mark. This chilly weather is due to the exceptionally high speed of the arctic winds. The katabatic or downward type winds that bring the brisk temperature, travel with speeds up to 200 mph (about 90 m/s) from inland toward the coast of the continent.​

-89, and WIND. That is some serious cold.

Norway is mild in comparison,
the coldest temp back home was -51 (in 1886 and 1999).

As a Norwegian living in the UK I would find this whole "extreme weather"
thing laughable, but the general crappines of the buildings can make it
a bit chilly when you are inside.
Heating did not work at work the other day and even if
I now live in in a flat with double-glazing the windows are so badly constructed
that wind blows through on the sides.

And if this cold is costing billions (like the flu, the World Cup in football, the Olympics, Fred Goodwin's pension), then why not invest a few millions in trains (hello Eurostar!) and trucks, buses, gritters etc that would make the UK go round?
I never believed in these "event X cost Britan Y" estimates, surely work will just be postponed and London still seems to be full of tourists.

john eden

male pale and stale
I never believed in these "event X cost Britan Y" estimates, surely work will just be postponed and London still seems to be full of tourists.

yes it's a colossal con, that. Just bosses getting uppity because there are empty seats in the office/shop/factory.

jenks

thread death
yes it's a colossal con, that. Just bosses getting uppity because there are empty seats in the office/shop/factory.

sorry but is that a club penguin puffle as your avatar????

I am so in my younger son's good books for buying him a black puffle t shirt for Xmas

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i knew i wouldn't be the only one admiring John's wonderful new avatar :cool:

i've been having a good laugh at CBI types on the news moaning about kids (and therefore parents who they employ) being off.

that said, i wonder what percentage of the public purse in the UK is put aside for winter weather amelioration? obviously a lot less than Canada or the Scandinavian countries say, but we wing it because that's normally always been the best policy in the past (cold snaps are fairly rare).

OT rant at the BBC news autocue writers:

i realise context is all and that these temperatures are pretty unusual for Britain, but having Fiona Bruce on the Ten news note that if the lows of minus 20 c - as predicted (it was minus 17/18 in some parts yday, tbf) - occur overnight Britain is as cold as "the South Pole". now i realise why Antarctica is used as shorthand here, but, heck, it is the height of summer there.

the worst kind of parochial, tabloid-style pissing contest analogies, it really winds me up out of all proportion i'm afraid (eg the red-tops in August: "Margate SWELTERED as Miami SHIVERED!" etc).

i mean, heck, if we're doing international temperature comparisons, what's the temperature now in Mongolia, or North Dakota, or Finland, or Russia?

oh that's right, below minus 20 anyway.. ...personal coldest temp you've experienced, anyone?
around low minus 30s for me, not too much windchill to contend with fortunately, once or twice in the midwest, then gradations of countless minus high teens to twenty something, again in the midwest.

john eden

male pale and stale
sorry but is that a club penguin puffle as your avatar????

I am so in my younger son's good books for buying him a black puffle t shirt for Xmas

Yeah likewise with a red hoodie.

The daughter suggested that the lion was really boring and this would be better, so in a spirit of festivity I went with it.

Actually I might keep asking her for suggestions on a regular basis.

STN

sou'wester
What are her views on rockism and the hardcore continuum? And how on earth is that a penguin?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Cripes!

_47061196_greatbritainjpg.jpg

PeteUM

It's all grist
I'm liking how the cold thread leads to discussion of Club Penguin. If it keeps up maybe my son and I won't need seperate computers.

Oi K-Punk you wanna bang on this? :D

jenks

thread death
I'm liking how the cold thread leads to discussion of Club Penguin. If it keeps up maybe my son and I won't need seperate computers.

Maybe all the mini Dissensus-ites could meet up in an igloo and compare costumes?

PeteUM

It's all grist
Maybe all the mini Dissensus-ites could meet up in an igloo and compare costumes?

Maybe we should all join Club Penguin and try and work out who is who. Then when that fun's over we can just go back to talking about the 'nuum and so forth.

john eden

male pale and stale

Yes I was disappointed that Dominic Fox didn't pick up on this in his "Cold World" book.

:p

mms

sometimes
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
they've apparently given this fucked up snow storm an equally fucked up name:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: