Best television drama ever

massrock

Found Edge of Darkness very hammy and overly melodramatic to the point of silliness. Possibly because I never saw it at the time, first viewing was a year or two ago.
Yeah, and? I don't care to defend it especially, I don't think it's the greatest thing ever, but it is a pretty good TV drama, a decent story well told that's, yeah, inevitably of it's time. What do you expect? Like anything if you want to enjoy it you suspend a bit of judgement and go with it, or don't. I guess I'm not such a big TV or film buff really, it doesn't matter to me that much, so if I can enjoy something and I'm not hopelessly bored or appalled at the banality of it then that's OK for a while.

GBH was a show that I saw when I was about 7 years old and wondered about for years, only finding out what it was over a decade later. Great programme though the later episodes lose it a bit. Still one of the best british dramas in my view

Deadwood (I've only seen the first series) is good, another HBO classic is Oz. Maybe it's been forgotten about what with it being from the 90's, but it really holds it's head up high with the likes of the Sopranos & to a lesser extent the Wire.

Last edited:

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Found Edge of Darkness very hammy and overly melodramatic to the point of silliness. Possibly because I never saw it at the time, first viewing was a year or two ago.

silly maybe, but the acting's too good to call it hammy
and even if it is silly it's still pretty powerful in an atmospheric kind of way

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I just got this on DVD. It's a fascinating time capsule to mid 80s Britain, if nothing else. I always fancied Joanne Whalley-Kilmer, proabbly due to Scandal, but her hair is terrible here.

crackerjack

Is anyone still watching Mad Men? caught the first 3 episodes of this series and found it hard to give a damn.

Someone convince me it's worth sticking with, please.