Hurt Locker, straight up racist movie

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I know, I think it's just a daft old stereotype perpetuated mainly by the Simpsons writers. Though maybe 'we' do have bad teeth compared to Americans, given the preponderance of kids in the US who have braces (retainers) at some point - that, and our collective national love affair with refined sugar.
biggrintj.gif

People over here are ridiculous about their teeth. Some of my cousins get their teeth lazer whitened a couple of times a year. Just about everybody I know had orthodonture (braces) in their teens, even if their teeth were fine. I knew a girl who went through several sets of porcelain veneers by the time she was 20. I remember when I used to smoke my mother bought me this really expensive bleaching treatment that she couldn't afford, so my teeth wouldn't get stained.

Of course, I'm getting cosmetic dentistry myself, I can't really look down on anyone...

nomadthethird

It's great, isn't it, how the election of Bush Jnr. can be used as a stick to beat America from any possible angle. You can either point out the massive electoral fraud that allowed him to get in in the first place (which I'm sure 3BNP would be happy to do in any other context), to demonstrate how corrupt and undemocratic the political system is - or you can conveniently ignore this, and the lack of a viable anti-war alternative, and berate Americans for being ignorant, gung-ho retards.

The perfect have-cake-and-eat-it situation!

It's funny to me how Marxists who supposedly don't believe in individual agency suddenly *do* believe in it when it can be used to try to make every living American look responsible for the state of the world.

Mind, they haven't actually revolted or anything, so their own share of responsibility is...non-existent? I don't get these people.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
People over here are ridiculous about their teeth. Some of my cousins get their teeth lazer whitened a couple of times a year. Just about everybody I know had orthodonture (braces) in their teens, even if their teeth were fine. I knew a girl who went through several sets of porcelain veneers by the time she was 20. I remember when I used to smoke my mother bought me this really expensive bleaching treatment that she couldn't afford, so my teeth wouldn't get stained.

Of course, I'm getting cosmetic dentistry myself, I can't really look down on anyone...

I had three sets of braces - two removable, the last set fixed ("train tracks") - over the course of several years when I was a kid/teenager. But my teeth were pretty shockingly protrusive and it (eventually) fixed them. Good old NHS!

Edit: sorry, pretty badly off-topic - I've not seen the film and can't say I'm particularly keen to. So.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

I had three sets of braces - two removable, the last set fixed ("train tracks") - over the course of several years when I was a kid/teenager. But my teeth were pretty shockingly protrusive and it (eventually) fixed them. Good old NHS!

Edit: sorry, pretty badly off-topic - I've not seen the film and can't say I'm particularly keen to. So.

Yeah, I couldn't care less about this movie. Some people are excited about a woman winning for best director, tho.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, I couldn't care less about this movie. Some people are excited about a woman winning for best director, tho.

Yep, funny how 87 (?) years without a woman winning Best Director can be twisted to be OK as soon as you give one out! Did Campion not win for the Piano (obv she didn't, that just surprised me). Apparently the last film Kurt Kobain watched before he died...

mms

sometimes
if you want to watch a recent film about that protests against the iraq war and the brutality of US colonialism go watch Avatar.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
if you want to watch a recent film about that protests against the iraq war and the brutality of US colonialism go watch Avatar.

But that film is just as racist as The Hurt Locker! Um, according to John Pilger.

Case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't"...

mixed_biscuits

Zizek knows why I have days off in Clacton.

JWoulf

hardly straight up racist. Certainly defending the american presence in Iraq , and not a very good movie. But it's the "terrorists" who are depicted as inhuman, not the Iraqis per se, take for example the scene when he goes looking for the kid and ends up at the academics house.

gumdrops

not straight up racist but def 1 dimensional. 99% of every iraqi on there is presented in a less than favourable light. obv its from the troops' perspective but even so, theres not 1 iraqi in there who is allowed to really speak, apart from the kid.

zhao

there are no accidents
there is next to zero positive representation of Arabs in Hollywood period. and have never been.

gumdrops

good ol art malik. he was in the wolfman recently. glad hes still around. though my earliest memory of him was playing a husband who took his kids back to pakistan from their white mother. he must be used to getting the same old shit in scripts even though hes been doing this for decades.

zhao

there are no accidents
never wanted to see that as it looks as fucking obnoxious as the attitudes they are supposedly parodying. someone confirmed my suspicions by reporting that it does end up glorifying that which it allegedly criticizes... a dynamic we have seen time and again in hollywood movies.