baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
starting midfield will surely be lennon / barry / lampard / gerrard with j.cole/milner coming on in the second when lennon's started to fuck up.

ah ok - i haven't bothered to check previous Capello line-ups. Lampard is way too good to be left out, tis true. I really do like the look of that midfield though, especially if Barry is on form as a holding midfielder (pity Hargreaves' fitness has been so cursed over the past few years, really). Lennon, Milner and Joe Cole all have the ability to pull something special, I think. I'm pretty optimistic that England can reproduce the kind of form they showed in the two games vs Croatia.

luka

cold for the players! not for me! (hoping you were joking jenko) south af in winter innnit.....

BareBones

wheezy
i'm such a dunce, i didn't even realise the SA weather got really bad at this time of year.

i'm not that optimistic about our chances though to be honest. I can foresee lots of uninspired sideways-and-backwards passing, lots of long diagonal balls hoofed up in heskey's direction when we've inevitably run out of ideas, a few scrappy goals from set pieces, a wonder goal from rooney or gerrard if we're lucky, and a noble battling engerlish defeat as soon as we come up against any of the good teams.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i'm such a dunce, i didn't even realise the SA weather got really bad at this time of year.

i'm not that optimistic about our chances though to be honest. I can foresee lots of uninspired sideways-and-backwards passing, lots of long diagonal balls hoofed up in heskey's direction when we've inevitably run out of ideas, a few scrappy goals from set pieces, a wonder goal from rooney or gerrard if we're lucky, and a noble battling engerlish defeat as soon as we come up against any of the good teams.

nonononono.

Our stellar midfield will pass it through any opposition, while the centrla defence will stand firm and English in the face of any onslaught, and Rooney will be player of the tournament.

Then we'll lose to Brazil.

don_quixote

Trent End
Really? Cos I genuinely can't guess wich one you're referring to :D I would go for Walcott, but it's a leap of faith, really

walcott. especially if we were defending a lead because oppositions fears about his pace and dribbling would lead them to surrender some attacking capabilities. see his destruction of liverpool breaking from a corner twice - once in the 4-4 match when he set up arshavin's 4th, once in the cl qf 2008. see also his game changing substitution against barcelona?

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
re the weather. i read that the bbc had spent *quite a few millions of pounds* on securing the perfect view of table mountain and constructed a glass studio on top of someone's house. but they obviously forgot to ask any locals cos they would've told them that table mountain is pretty-much covered by cloud for the whole of June and July...

BareBones

wheezy
no doubt that walcott can be fantastic, like that barcelona game, and when he demolished milan in the champions league the other year (think that's the one don quixote is referring to). there's no way SWP is capable of that in big games. walcott does frighten defenders but his form is too erratic for capello i guess. the thing with walcott is that he doesn't have the swagger, he's too shy and timid. he doesn't have the natural self-confidence to make the most of his abilities. adam johnson could've done the business i reckon, in a wild-card / unknown factor kind of way, a la owen 1998.

don_quixote

Trent End
i was talking about this:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

hucks

Your Message Here
I LOVE how Adebayor goes off to celebrate that by himself. He's just scored a tap in thanks to an amazing 90 yard run by a teenage substitute and he's doing some shit dance by himself whilst the rest of the team have run over to Walcott. Then he realises and he's all - YEAH! LOOKAT THEO!

Yeah, granted, Walcott can/ could do that sort of thing. Presumably Capello doesn't see England doing much counterattacking in SA?

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
perhaps. i don't see what shaun wright phillips brings though. i imagine he's back up for aaron lennon who will presumably lead the line on the right wing?

crackerjack

starting midfield will surely be lennon / barry / lampard / gerrard with j.cole/milner coming on in the second when lennon's started to fuck up.

Barry won't play til 2nd or 3rd game at earliest. Til then it's Lennon-Lamps-Gerrard-Milner, I guess, with the central duo doing their usual your-turn/my-turn shit.

don_quixote

Trent End
started a semi-serious blog with a friend dedicated to the players who will be wearing a certain number at the world cup: link. plz add to your google readers and that *BEGGING*

we're a bit disappointed that shaun wright-phillips got the nod for this number and not james milner. but hey.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
CLASSIC WORLD CUP

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Forgot how good Roger Milla was - second goal he sets up is sublime, even fi the English cover is woeful.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
started a semi-serious blog with a friend dedicated to the players who will be wearing a certain number at the world cup: link. plz add to your google readers and that *BEGGING*

Nice blog. The knowledge you have is terrifying, however! Particularly liking the 'deborahharry86' username - dunno whether that's you or your friend...

crackerjack

The statistics prove it. From the English, Italian, French, Spanish or German leagues, Bent is the only man to score 20 goals or more this season (he mustered 24) and whose nation qualified, not to be heading for South Africa. Aside from Wayne Rooney, no Englishman has been more prolific than him in the Barclays Premier League over the past four years and this season his victims included Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool.

I feel for Bent. He seems like one of the good guys. 6 months ago I'd have taken Defoe without blinking, but he's been poor since then.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
I've mentioned this site on the other football thread, but it's worth mentioning at any opportunity. Zonal Marking are doing a tactical analysis of all (?) the teams in the WC. Essential reading basically. Would love to know who's behind it.