Exes and friendships

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I can't be bothered with relationships anymore either. Nowadays I just cruise for casual pick-ups by being cynical on the internet.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Play your cards right, handsome, and you could get lucky with talk like that... ;)

(when I've forgiven you for jilting me and woops yesterday, you CAD!)

Oh, my cards are always well played.

Okay, this is weird.

(yeah, sorry about that, blame the hermetic disposition of the jilted - another time soon?)

STN

sou'wester
Of those of note, one of my exes is a MASSIVE chief, but three are really excellent and we do get on well, though it did take a while and the odd outburst of mentalism.

As a side note, Martin once tried to defend one of these people with a rootbeer bottle, none of us is really sure from whom.

alex

Do not read this.
Basically agree with nearly everything in Brother Randy Hickys first post. Have kept on really good terms with my ex, which is the first time it’s ever happened like that for me, which is actually really refreshing, because I didn’t want to stop speaking to her really.

RE: Drunk sex after just breaking up, it’s cool, just make sure you leave the same night. Hung over and having to face each other = self par for both parties.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Basically agree with nearly everything in Brother Randy Hickys first post. Have kept on really good terms with my ex, which is the first time it’s ever happened like that for me, which is actually really refreshing, because I didn’t want to stop speaking to her really.

good to know it's possible. First time I've even considered it in a looong time, so reassuring that I'm not necessarily being totally foolish.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I really don't think it is possible to be friends with an ex until you both have truly purged yourself of the desire to see the other again in that capacity. If you can get past that point though, I've found that is possible to be greater friends with that person than you perhaps were before, and especially greater friends than you are with other people you might be attracted to but never went through the whole ordeal of a relationship with.

On the other hand, I have one ex who I broke up with not because we didn't like each other anymore, but because we just didn't work at all. Our relationship will always have that tragic shade to it and so I suspect real friendship will be impossible. Something like if all you drank for years was chocolate milk, and then you developed lactose intolerancy.

alex

Do not read this.
good to know it's possible. First time I've even considered it in a looong time, so reassuring that I'm not necessarily being totally foolish.

Definitely not foolish imo Baboon, I can’t see why anyone would think that if the relationship ended on good(enough) terms? Relationships are such a flash in the pan to most people nowday’s but I couldn’t spend that length of time in close proximity with a person, then stop talking to them altogether... (situation depending obviously) Seems a bit silly to have invested that amount of time getting to know eachother etc.. only to throw it away because it feels a bit strange (admittedly it is a weird feeling). Fair enough if you've been caught fucking her sister by her old man, cut all ties on that shit.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Interesting points from you both. Alex, I feel exactly the same about investing time etc...it seems crazy to cut that person out just like that, for ever. Feels so cold.

On the other hand, as Sickboy says, it's getting past that point of still wanting more from them, which can rear its head at the most inopportune moments. Headfuck, as I'm clearly not past that point, I realised this week...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
that sounds like a good thing.

i think mostly people know what they've repressed, at some level - it's an odd thing, as frequently the repression is very close to the surface, and not deeply buried at all.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Conclusion: Martin wins the thread. Except in very particular instances (for example, Alex's), the black hole argument is very persuasive.

Especially with someone who says the transition from having a relationship with someone to being friends is just easy :rolleyes:. Maybe, just maybe, that's because your emotions are in deep freeze?

I reckon, cut her loose. Imagine she's been sucked into a black hole, and all you can do is shake your head, shrug your shoulders and get on with your own stuff. It's just you and your ego now, so don't put your ego at risk by doing something insane like getting drunk and ringing her ("as a friend") and blurting out, "Are you seeing anyone?" And don't let people tell you, "Oh, that's such an immature attitude, I'm still friends with ALL my exes!" Those are the kind of people who voted Lib Dem, or who buy Brazil shirts in the quarter stages of the World Cup. Passionless.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Today's xkcd made me think of this thread:

bad_ex.png