Cheap as f**k meals thread

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i was in a chicken shack near Camberwell Green one night the other week (racing around town doing multiple viewings one day meant not having time to eat normally), and beside myself and the chap behind the counter there were two others in there, one clearly sozzled Irish bloke who was having trouble making himself understood to the lad behind the counter, so the other customer was sort of translating, four blokes all of visibly clearly different ethnic heritages it seemed to me, all united in the love of the poultry, a beautiful, slightly inebriated, communal moment :D

:)

housemate swears by the fried chicken at spice and nice bakery at the camberwell end of coldharbour lane. there's one in peckham too

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Huh? If you've got flour you can at least make bread, right? Unless you're so broke you can't afford gas/current for your oven... :confused:

I didn't question the logic behind such things (a foolish manoeuvre when dealing with any woman scorned*), however I suspect she was sleeping at least semi-rough.

*Or Sconed, as it was.

sufi

lala
Top Somali dinner for 2
  • soup to go and a bowl while i was waiting for the takeout
  • roasted lamb bony chunks
  • 2 punnets of rice
  • a banana
  • chili sauce
all for a £5iver at Al Uruba, bruce grove

"A friend of mine" often makes spaghetti mixed with egg, chopped fried bacon, a little chilli and black pepper + garnished with loads of chilled ketchup. "He" says it's fuckin lovely. It's important to add the cooked, chopped bacon as part of the final stir and fry, otherwise it loses its crispy crunchiness.

Last edited:

stephenk

that's pretty much carbonara...not sure why you wouldn't substitute the ketchup (?) for a mixture of parmesan/egg/cream, and then parsley at the end. i make this all the time. though usually i get pancetta instead of bacon.

that's pretty much carbonara...not sure why you wouldn't substitute the ketchup (?) for a mixture of parmesan/egg/cream, and then parsley at the end. i make this all the time. though usually i get pancetta instead of bacon.

The difference is that the eggs are fried solid - it's a sort of carbonara as imagined by the worst kind of idiot. But delicious all the same.

jenks

thread death
Everything tastes better with bacon

My wife actually said this the other day and I have yet to find a reason to disagree with her.

nomos

Administrator
fall's here. going to get to know my slow cooker. tomorrow, tarka dhal.* next week, beans!

* slow cooker tips for indian dishes

and this lentil salad, modified from The Rasta Cookbook, was a favourite over the summer. excellent with jerk chicken and rice...

1 can brown lentils (drained)
2 tbsp peanut or neutral oil
1 tbsp lime juice
pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
small onion (thinly sliced, fried until brown)
1 tomato (diced)
chopped chillies

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Got this book for 20p last year. Some good bits on using left overs and getting the most out of making things from scratch.

For the real hard times

2x Tesco noodles
Can of tuna
litre of milk
Spoon of mayonnaise from mates fridge.

Total 1.78c and nicer then it sounds when your two days from pay day.

Re: Pigs feet, Boiling/stew is the only way to go. Have a google for Crubeen recipes.

Last edited:

Krasner

i'm off to East Dulwich so your Peckham gen intrigues me a lot. one of the flatmates-to-be is a chef (a bloody good one at that), and he apparently likes to walk down to the markets in Brixton for his oxtail. (markets in general there are very good, as my brother lived in Brixton for years, so know it pretty well.)

Khan's Bargain Limited on Rye Lane is the shop for you. They sell everything you could possibly think of at stupidly low prices. 8 peppers for a quid? Why not! Nour Cash & Carry in Brixton Market has a similar sprawling with an endless variety of yams.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Second Nour Cash & Carry. Any vegetable shops selling veg and fruit in plastic bowls for a quid can't be sniffed at either.

Lentil soup - puy lentils, bacion, bay leaf, onions, bit of soy sauce, bit of cream etc.

Risotto's dead cheap too, if you omit the wine.

nomos

Administrator
'Mujaddara'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mujaddara
800px-Mujaddara.jpg
made this last night. twas excellent. and cheap as f**k.

goes well with a salad. made a simple turkish one - romaine, tomato, cucumber, radish. dressing was lemon, oil, yoghurt, mint. i think that's it.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
There's a pretty good Chinese supermarket down Electric Avenue where you can buy ingredients - if you stock up on soy (dark/light), chinkiang vinegar, shao xing rice wine, dried chillies, salted black beans and szechuan peppers you're pretty much there, just some veg and carbs from brixton market and that's the winter sorted. Get chicken carcasses and pork bones off the butchers in the markets too and then you can make stock/soups. You can do stuff with lambs heads as well but that's scary.

I noticed in Tescos the other day that they sell Amoy coconut milk for, like, 2 pound 50 a can but if you go in the 'world foods' section, they've got coconut milk for 50p a can. Same with sunflower seeds (in the 'health food' section they were 1.99, in the 'World/Indian' section they were 99p). Schizo fuckin Tesco.

Best way to get cheap food though is to go round binning it at the end of the day round the city, current faves for some of my friends are the EAT soups which always get dumped.