Cheap as f**k meals thread

grizzleb

Yeah it's a sliding scale. More than 2 bucks seems excessive. When I go back up the road at christmas I'm going to get a big fancy-dan meal on the go however. Never any 'proper' christmas meal at my house so I think I might step up to the plate, so to speak.You enjoy it more if you're not eating like a king every night too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Tomato curry must be really cheap too - and damn good. As long as you invest in some big bags of 10-15 spices from an Indian supermarket, there's so much you can make....

grizzleb

Yeah that's a good shout. Been doing tomato and potato but I think tomatoes on their own would work. Need to get stocked up on some more spices though. Got about 10 but it's never enough. One of my goals (call it a dream?) in life is to be able to cook a curry that is befitting of the name... Best food in the world.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
A friend of mine makes the most amazing curries - one with green bean and coconut, and another with aubergine/tomato, both of them stellar. I was going to ask her for the recipe (because I could never recreate it fromo vague instruction alone), will let you know when I get it.

Also found an amazing internet resource for curry making, which I seem to have lost the address for :eek:

http://www.pachakam.com/recipe.asp?id=1318&RecipeName=Easy Tomato Curry (Thakkali Curry) This seems a good recipe.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Thus further cementing my conviction there is absolutely nothing the Chinese will not eat. :)

Raw things. Mainland Chinese people will run a mile if you offer them oysters, or raw egg, etc.

There's no word for 'animal' in Chinese, it's literally humans and 'things that move' so it goes a little way to explaining it I think. Uterus is probably really nice, maybe lol.

I've got friends who've eaten the placenta after they've had a baby. Not that I'm suggesting that a pigs uterus is...oh god. I should go to bed.

luka

this could go in the chinese food thread actualy. you can get a jars containing a mixture of chilli, oil, msg and soy bean. cook medium grain rice. add slime from jar. eat. that is very very nice.

Immryr

this jain lentil curry is very tasty and cheap.

heat oil in pan

add a big pinch of asafoetida and about a tsp of cumin seeds

add a whole chilli pricked or slit with a knife (optional)

put in about 200 grams of bengal gram or yellow split peas, you can soak these if you like to reduce cooking time, i usually don't bother though,

add 1 tsp of tumeric, 2 tsp of ground corriander and some chilli powder then cover with boiling water

cook till the lentils are just about done and there isn't much liquid then

add about 3 tbsp of natural yoghurt which has been whisked with a little bit of water, salt and garam masala and cook down for a few mins

it is surprisingly tasty considering it has no garlic or onions in. i usually eat it with some wilted spinach and rice or roti.

pat

can anyone recommend a cheapish vietnamese dish?

i'm stuck in a 'food rut' i think

expand my horizons please

luka

yes, the Banh Mi sandwich. find a recipe on t'internet. basically chicken or pork, fresh chilli, coriander, other salad bits, some nice sauce thing...
on a bagette (colonised by the french after all)

viktorvaughn

root veg soup is cheap

basic pattern of fry an onion, add the chopped veg (whatever is cheap and to hand) and sweat, add water, stock, season, blend and maybe add some cream or dairy at the end. add potatoes too to bulk out and garlic/bay as appropriate.

congee is very cheap - boil rice in water for ages until it breaks down and makes starchy soup and add anything you like. pork ribs/ham hock in with the rich for pork stock, add spring onion, cabbage, sweet soy, sausage meatballs, fish anything then, bit of nam pla and go

winter root curry (nigel slater korma recipe lovely)

pumpkin should be very cheap around here - you can then make curry, risotto, soup from one big one.

chickpeas cooked with loads of spinach, garlic, paprika, cumin and chilli flakes with olive oil - have with pitta and spoon of yoghurt and that's a nice meal.

cook big pan of bulgar wheat and add anything good to hand - roast veg, olives, capers, chopped red onion, parsley, chorizo, spring onion, feta, lemon juice/zest or preserved lemons and season and dress well

the key to me would be to find cheap market and buy what ever is cheap and then cook to that, keeping a few essential spices at home.

nomos

Administrator
yes, the Banh Mi sandwich. find a recipe on t'internet. basically chicken or pork, fresh chilli, coriander, other salad bits, some nice sauce thing...
on a bagette (colonised by the french after all)
yeah i used to get these in montreal for about $2, except they'd use spring rolls instead of meat. nuoc cham sauce on top. really tasty.

pat

very helpful cheersl. had a banh mi from panda panda in deptford as a taster, fucking lovely. going to hit up an asian supermarket round the corner to see if i can stock up on spices/pickled things

will try congee later as a pre-pogues meal as well, will let you know how it complements guinness.

thanks again

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
very helpful cheersl. had a banh mi from panda panda in deptford as a taster, fucking lovely. going to hit up an asian supermarket round the corner to see if i can stock up on spices/pickled things

will try congee later as a pre-pogues meal as well, will let you know how it complements guinness.

thanks again

Congee probably works really well pre-pogues, or as well as anything will! There's a good Viet place up the road from Deptford on Lower Road near Surrey Quays, or used to be good anyway, changed it's name and haven't been since but it was yummy a while back.