irrational hatred

Leo

i've for some reason always hated the word "problematic." have no idea why, but think it sounds really pretentious...why not just say "that's a problem", or "that's always a problem", or "that's doubtful." why is it instead problematic?

entirely irrational, i know.

don_quixote

Trent End
i think that's my problem with therein as well. it sounds really pretentious and when i was a reviews editor on my student paper at university i reckon about 80% of negative reviews featured the cliché "therein lies the problem". i always always always edited it out.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm a big fan of the lesser used conjunctions - I think they're part of the charm of English. That said, I iritate myself when I use them too often in writing, for not being imaginative enough to do without them.

The problem is that I think all my hatreds are rational.

zhao

there are no accidents
I'm a big fan of the lesser used conjunctions - I think they're part of the charm of English.

i agree. au contraire to them being problematic, they lend sentences a suppleness which stresses the point, and therein lies their not mere usefulness, but indeed necessity. so while they can be annoying when over-used or in certain contexts, they are nonetheless an indispensable part of the language; and moreover, they can make one sound really smart and or knobbish.

do you also hate people who never use caps?

Last edited: