Where to live in London?

mind_philip

saw the light
Thanks for all the various pieces of advice... I like both highgate and east finchley, with the latter seeming to be more flush with properties at the moment. Fucking hell though, before I thought about moving there I knew London was expensive, but I had no idea quite how ridiculous it had become... £700 a month gets you a brand new Waterfront apartment in Southampton.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
3underscoreIf you name a figure circa £1k said:
I simply don't know ANY area of London where you couldn't get something for considerably less than a thousand pounds. Specific streets/ blocks within those areas, you might be locked out of. But 700 quid remains a high rent, even within London. Let's keep some perspective.

O

Omaar

Updates

Hey, just arrived in London Monday - anyone have any further advice on this topic?

any tips on hunting mind_philip?

I think I'd prefer to find a bedsit or a studio; have lived in brixton before and quite liked it there but not sure where it's at there at the moment - last time i was there it was undergoing a bit of gentrification.

Think i'd prefer South.

bassnation

the abyss
k-punk said:
I simply don't know ANY area of London where you couldn't get something for considerably less than a thousand pounds. Specific streets/ blocks within those areas, you might be locked out of. But 700 quid remains a high rent, even within London. Let's keep some perspective.

is this really true? last time i was renting in london (about seven or eight years ago before the housing market went nuts) i had difficulty finding somewhere, even a shit ugly flat with crackhouses next door and a row of tramps drinking cider greeting me every morning as i left the house, for less than 750.

surely things can't have got cheaper and better quality? london doesn't work like that.

maybe you've got good connections mark or maybe its because i couldn't be arsed to get up at five to scan loot every morning.

Inca March

Down from Machu Picchu
living in london

move to leafy s london, get the train into charing x - change at london bridge if there's no direct link...

barter with the estate agent - true - it works, offer em £100 less per month and they'll knock off £50, they can't be bothered turning up again and again to show more people around...

inca - currently livin in a two bed flat, nice block, balcony overlookin peckham rye - £675pcm ahahahahahahaha

owen

Omaar said:

Think i'd prefer South.

I would recommend SE8 and (sorta) SE14 and SE4 as a good bet- cheap, lots of stuff going on, easy to get to the centre by overground, not quite as cuntish as east london (yet) tho there is a large contingent of talkers-to-self and special brew wielders (but that's pretty universal). i pay around £300 per month (if not altogether punctually) for one large room with shared kitchen and whatnot...

Rambler

Awanturnik
Bartering is the thing. Friends tell me it's a buyer's (renters?) market for rental places in London at the moment - places are getting hard to shift since the buy-to-let boom, so barter away, for cheaper rent, furnishings, bills, whatever.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I live in Brixton, and can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be in London. On Victoria Line (best tube line in London), buses to everywhere, leafy and suburban if you choose the right area, own shopping centre (cheap clothes too), good restaurants, bars are a'ite....

Haven't ahd any trouble since I've been there (housemates have, but nothing too serious), and don't find it anywhere near as threatening as somewhere like Hackney.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Would never rent my own place in London, but I'm sharing with 4 otheres and paying 350 per month for a room in a huge house. Bargain.

mind_philip

saw the light
I live in N8 and pay 780 a month for a big one-bed flat. I can't really offer much advice about S London, as I never looked there...

Herne Hill is nice though, if Brixton is a bit too earthy for you, and has a fast service to Victoria...

Though I have to say, in what world is the Victoria line anything other than the hellish location of some of the worst travelling experiences in my life??? It's crowded, hotter than any other line I can think of, and manages to serve both Finsbury Park and Brixton...

mind_philip said:
Though I have to say, in what world is the Victoria line anything other than the hellish location of some of the worst travelling experiences in my life??? It's crowded, hotter than any other line I can think of, and manages to serve both Finsbury Park and Brixton...

Have they fixed the screeching as it tackles the long bend north of Brixton yet? Only the Bakerloo line is more unpleasant (I find the Bakerloo much hotter and seedier than the rest of the network). Metropolitan line is the best because the carriages are so much bigger.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeh, the Victoria Line is absolutely hellish - takes you from S london to N London in a quicker time than any other, and generally stops at the most convenient locations. If you're put off bby mild screeching, you might be best to live somewhere else entirely. Jesus.

As for being more crowded, bollocks. Northern Line is much, much worse. And I've lived in Lodnon for several years and never taken the Metropolitan Line - to most people it's largely irrelevant, given its limited scope...

Melmoth

Bruxist
If you want to be in striking distance of the centre then inner(ish) south east London is cheaper: elephant, walworth, bermondsey, camberwell, peckham, new cross, deptford. Always worth doing a sweep of newsagent window ads in these areas rather than Loot if you have time and energy.

None of them are particularly pretty, but they all have their idiosyncratic charms (says expansively, then slugs from bottle of Buckfast).

run_time

Cycling option

another thing worth considering is whether your prepared to cycle in to work. Doing this opens up a whole lot of areas which are only serviced by bus (long journey time) and some of these areas are less over run or cheaper because they're not on the tube map. That said, not everyone is up for cycling in the middle of winter

3underscore

baboon2004 said:
Yeh, the Victoria Line is absolutely hellish - takes you from S london to N London in a quicker time than any other, and generally stops at the most convenient locations. If you're put off bby mild screeching, you might be best to live somewhere else entirely. Jesus.

As for being more crowded, bollocks. Northern Line is much, much worse. And I've lived in Lodnon for several years and never taken the Metropolitan Line - to most people it's largely irrelevant, given its limited scope...

The problem for me is that the Victoria line goes everywhere North of the River I would never need to go.

The Northern Line is busy? Well, it goes through Tottenham Court Road, Bank, London Bridge, Charing Cross, Waterloo - A few people work in those places, so it really is hardly surprising. I mean to say that a tube line always will be busier the more convenient - sensible logic. Personally, I always try to get the overland - all about your preferences.

I wish kpunk were about right now to find me a flat to rent as I have to move, and it is proving a nightmare. Problem is my requirement of locality is on several things, so I can only live some areas. Also, house share visits can be such a pain.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
HMGovt said:
You're pathologically defensive about your poxy tube line aren't you? Get out and get some fresh air some time, son.

Temper, temper. Probably best that you don't live in London given your high degree of sensitivity.