luka

A lot of it stays with you meaning at some level it works. Or part of it works. Some of it really burrows down.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A lot of it stays with you meaning at some level it works. Or part of it works. Some of it really burrows down.

Agreed. The slowness and frustrating...ness of it are exactly the point. And it is extremely disturbing.

My appreciation for it has increased since I watched that video about it that I posted a page or two ago.

luka

This is well worth a watch if you're as into the show as I am, and have seen all of it, or all of it that you ever plan to watch, at any rate.

tl,dr; Twin Peaks in its entirety, but especially the film and the last series, is essentially an elaborate meta-commentary on the nature of TV in general, TV's effect on society and vice-versa, and the show itself and its relationship to us, the audience.

Is it actually four and a half hours long? Daunting.

luka

One is prestige television with a multi million dollar budget and a stellar cast of acclaimed character actors. The long awaited conclusion to one of the most loved shows of all time from one of Americas greatest and most enigmatic directors.

The other is some nerd sitting in front of a webcam.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was skeptical at first, but it's very well presented and engaging. I dunno, watch it or don't, he's not my mate or anything!

luka

I like fan theories a lot tbh. It's just 4 and a half hour thing that has me blanching.

catalog

It will fly by. Start now, you'll be done by morning. Just imagine it's by Prynne or something. You can do it.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

Yeah but the original was all that and then some. I'd rather TP3 was something completely separate. Then maybe I'd be able to enjoy it on its own terms. As it stands, for me, it's a piece of indulgent shit. Plus, did it really stay with you? Lynch has become a parody of himself imo. No different to Tim Burton in that way. You know it deep down when something is as good as the orig. TP3 ain't.

luka

I think there's always been an element of self parody with Lynch, or perhaps it's more accurate to say he isnt quite sure how to separate inspiration from whimsy. So you get a lot of very very bad stuff in almost every project, and buried within, some magic.

catalog

i've never really liked twin peaks tbh. i liked the 'fire walk with me' film most probably. it's cos i never watched it as it happened, i think. just never manages to get into it properly. whereas i really like lost highway, watched it several times. ditto eraserhead, blue velvet, mulholland drive. he's patchy for me. i can't watch elephant man, never seen dune (don't want to). tp3 seems like eraserhead in bits, lst highway/mulholland drive in others, but never as good as those films?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I really enjoyed TP3/The Return whatever it's called - I think people were expecting him to remake Twin Peaks but I think he wanted to make something as different from how tv is now as Twin Peaks was when it came out in the nineties and (obviously) just doing the same stuff again wouldn't achieve that. For me he did succeed in sort of extending the original story while making something genuinely weird and also Lynchian (without touching on whether that means self-parody) in that it did have a few of those moments that affect you and which are truly creepy even though it's almost impossible to say why or even what they mean. Oh and it's entertaining.

catalog

Watching strange angel ATM, abt jack parsons/thelema. Pretty good. Just into series 2 and ww2 has started.