Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Pretty much every actor who worked on the orig TP said it was the best thing they ever did. I'd imagine they were only too happy to do it. On the cusp of kicking the bucket or not.

There were only a few who actively refused to do it iirc. One was Harry Truman

The actress who played Margaret "Log Lady" Lanterman was really dying of cancer during filming and I think didn't survive to see the premier go on air. Her last phone call with Hawk had me genuinely in tears.

The Norma Jennings actress died not long ago too. She was always one of my favourite characters - so kind and wise and beautiful but also so incredibly sad. Seeing her finally get together with Ed was one of the emotional high points of the otherwise mostly very bleak Return.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This is well worth a watch if you're as into the show as I am, and have seen all of it, or all of it that you ever plan to watch, at any rate.

tl,dr; Twin Peaks in its entirety, but especially the film and the last series, is essentially an elaborate meta-commentary on the nature of TV in general, TV's effect on society and vice-versa, and the show itself and its relationship to us, the audience.

entertainment

I was well into TP 3. I remember the very last scene giving me an intensely eerie feeling and not understanding why, like my unconsciousness having a seizure. Don't think I've ever felt that thing before.

New season of Bojack Horseman is good, better than the last one. Anyone seen His Dark Materials?

version

The actress who played Margaret "Log Lady" Lanterman was really dying of cancer during filming and I think didn't survive to see the premier go on air. Her last phone call with Hawk had me genuinely in tears.

The Norma Jennings actress died not long ago too. She was always one of my favourite characters - so kind and wise and beautiful but also so incredibly sad. Seeing her finally get together with Ed was one of the emotional high points of the otherwise mostly very bleak Return.

Miguel Ferrer (Albert), Catherine Coulson (The Log Lady), Warren Frost (Dr. Hayward), Harry Dean Stanton (Carl) and Peggy Lipton (Norma) all died either before the show finished airing or pretty soon after. The deaths just kept coming for a while; Robert Forster (Frank Truman) just died a few weeks ago.

A bunch of the others had died a while back too, Jack Nance (Pete Martell), Frank Silva (Bob) and Bowie (Jeffries) off the top of my head.

version

I was well into TP 3. I remember the very last scene giving me an intensely eerie feeling and not understanding why, like my unconsciousness having a seizure. Don't think I've ever felt that thing before.

I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach and couldn't stop thinking about it for a good couple of weeks. The music during the credits was great too.

catalog

just about to put episode 10 of TP3 on. it's enjoyable stuff, kinda like eraserhead vibes and also feels good to have seen his paintings, with the way the red room is styled. but overall its a bit too slow and ploddy maybe. it's requiring a bit of discipline to watch. finished the deuce and wu tang series now. tv a bit dry.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Glad I'm not the only one to be reminded of really early Lynch (Eraserhead) in parts of TP3.

catalog

Funny bit in this episode I just watched, where she swats the fly on the guy's face. Hilarious. Yeah all the fucked up contraptions like that weird tree that made an appearance early on, very Eraserhead. Also a lot of episode 3 is pretty reminiscent of the end parts of Eraserhead.

version

The tree was a necessity to a degree as Michael J. Anderson (The Man from Another Place/The Arm) and Lynch fell out. He slagged off the show and accused Lynch of raping his own daughter, murdering his best friend, threatening to murder his daughter and trying to talk him (Anderson) into killing himself.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Finished True Detective 3 this evening. Pretty impressed with it. Some tense moments but notably less bleak than the first series, I thought - more reflective and introspective. I liked the way it's basically hardboiled detective fiction, with the only 'weird' element as such being Hays' memory loss and ghostly hallucinations caused by his dementia. Nice subtle shout-out to the first series, too.

Another thing I liked was
the way they averted the 'high-level, possibly Satanic paedo conspiracy' thing you're meant to think (maybe a smidgen too obvious in these post-Epstein days?) in favour of something that's less skin-crawlingly icky by in a way even more tragic.

Edit: anyone else notice the almost non-stop atonal drone soundtrack? Very effective, very cool.

Last edited:

version

I don't think it's at quite the same level as the first, but I enjoyed it and loved the two leads, Dorff in particular, and there were some great moments - the final shot in the jungle, Roland and the dog outside the bar, the door moving as older Hays looks in on younger Hays, the aging sequence in the car.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Seen the first episode of HDM, seems ok so far but - through no fault of its own - feels a little reheated after the book and film. Also, most of the acting and so on is better but Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman were much better physical representations of Lord Thingy and Ann Coulter so the series versions take a bit of getting used to.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Started watching Years and Years today which I'm enjoying a lot. First episode felt like a huge rip-off of Threads (the old UK nuclear war thing) but it goes in slightly different directions after that. It is very political with criticism of the creep towards fascism along with implied attacks on Brexit and a Farage-like populist idiot, plus very blatant actual attacks on Trump. Was this a bbc thing? I'm surprised people didn't complain about it's political bias... then again brexiters were probably too thick to notice.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thank you for that, I probably should have waited until it finished before reading it but never mind, it's not the sort of thing where the ending as such is massively important. It's a while since I read Howard's End but I actually saw an adaptation of An Inspector Calls a couple of months ago so it's fairly fresh in my mind. I do recall that Leonard Bast was the worst written character in HE though, probably Forster had less experience of people like him.

catalog

Bored to tears with twin peaks 3 (episode 12) so shifted to 'the name of the rose'. Hooked. Might read the book again. Already read it twice.

Similar vibe to dissensus. Who is adso? Who is the inquisitor?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Yeah I didn't get all the TP3 hype either. It's a slog to say the least. Felt like a perfect example of that old theory where people assume something is good if it's complicated and they can't understand it.

luka

Obviously it's frustrating and boring and stupid, objectively it is all those things but