The Ashes 2010

crackerjack

Hughes is the worst opening batsmen I've ever seen. He had a 'flawed technique' apparently. Which is indistinguishable from being utterly shit.

He's got a bit of the young Trescothick about him: play a few shots, score a few, get out early. Only much fewer and much earlier. Mind you, he took 10 off Tremlett's first over - add that to the 11 Ponting and Clark got from one of Anderson's, that's more than 20% of the Aus total.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
re clarke. on the other hand getting decent start and then wafting at a jimmy awaydobbler kinda makes him the biggest loser of the day!!

maybe he's the kind of player, like pieterson, who needs very strong disciplined individuals around him. clarke was at his best when he was in there with langer, gilchrist, mcgrath types who all demanded serious levels and commitment and wouldn't put up with any primadona shit. last couple of years he's been indulged cos everyone thought he was a shoe-in for the captaincy.

jenks

thread death
Just watched the highlights from Day 3 - Strauss showing himself to be just so much more tactically astute - field placing for Bell to take that catch from Hussey - moving his bowlers around - how he uses Swann both as wicket taker and to dry up the scoring - the way they have rotated the bowlers between tests, like a Prem Football side and their strikers - I like the way Jimmy A plays, he goes for a few but has these patches where he is just unplayable.

Also the way the unfancied batters have come and dominated - Trott and Cook in particular - unfussy but prepared to ahnga around and make big scores frequently - something new to England. Scoring 400+ was always an issue and we hardly ever won with an innings to spare.

Would be nice to see Pietersen unleashed for teh next test to really rub salt into their wounds. Been fun listening to Warne vacillate between slagging Australia off and defending his old mates - he suggested in the first session that Strauss was tactically conservative - yeah, Shane looks like it from here too...

hucks

Your Message Here
I am so up for this now. So rare in sport that, before the start of the day'snplay you can just get comfy and wait for victory. Even in cricket, tbf

crackerjack

So that's it now, just a question of 2-1 or 3-1.

Can someone explain to me why the Aussies are getting pissed off with Cook for refusing to walk when he's not out.

hucks

Your Message Here
So that's it now, just a question of 2-1 or 3-1.

Can someone explain to me why the Aussies are getting pissed off with Cook for refusing to walk when he's not out.

I could guess...Pretty poor by Hughes, too, cos you can see he doesn't celebrate until he sees everyone else cheering. He knew it didn't carry.

luka

cook said hughes didnt cheat so hughes didnt cheat. im not even crowing anymore. its too easy. i had a day off yesterday and i did enjoy that big mincer cook mincing about to great effect but...

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
first time EVER in tests the 7th, 8th and 9th wicket partnerships were all over 100, that's a bit spesh i think. Prior played some brilliant shots.

re Hughes. i agree, it was blown out of all proportion. largely because Botham was commentating at the time it happened and he is a massively tedious sanctimonious shit-stirring prick.

crackerjack

first time EVER in tests the 7th, 8th and 9th wicket partnerships were all over 100, that's a bit spesh i think. Prior played some brilliant shots.

re Hughes. i agree, it was blown out of all proportion. largely because Botham was commentating at the time it happened and he is a massively tedious sanctimonious shit-stirring prick.

It was typically poor behaviour from the Colony of Disgracefuls. We should reimpose dominion status.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
nice that smith got a few meaningless runs towards the end there, i hope they persevere with him. khawaja also looked tidy. aside from these, who else is coming through for the aussies?

cook and anderson will get the plaudits but tbh i think this was strauss' ashes.