why is there no wikileaks thread?

petergunn

plywood violin
i understand that in these diplomatic "cables" there is a need to speak in a quick and witty shorthand to get yr point across easily, but today when reading the paper on my dinner break, i noticed the following:

putin and medvedev are like "batman and robin"

now, i flip the newspaper like 2 pages and come across this:

"canada feels like batman to the USA's robin"...

what is up w/ these repeated batman and robin references? are the embassies staffed w/ comic book nerds? if so, could we get some hipper references? maybe a "Magneto to the USA's Dr Doom"?

300px-SuperVillainTeamUp14.jpg

Last edited:

massrock

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2010/dec/03/julian-assange-wikileaks

"Mr Assange,
have there ever been documents forwarded to you which deal with the topic of UFOs or extraterrestrials?"

"...it is worth noting that in yet-to-be-published parts of the cablegate archive there are indeed references to UFOs."

this'll probably be to do with gary mckinnon don't you think?

not necessarily et related but i have wondered if wikileaks have something quite dramatic they've been sitting on. something that would boost the courage and conviction needed to put themselves in the position they're in, or work as insurance. it takes some cajones.

has assange been so public because it's safer? the old way would have been to leak the sensitive stuff anonymously.

Last edited:

stevied

Excellent CounterPunch piece by Alexander Cockburn on JA.

Years ago Rebecca West wrote in her novel The Thinking Reed of a British diplomat who, "even when he was peering down a woman's dress at her breasts managed to look as though he was thinking about India." In the updated version, given Hillary Clinton's orders to the State Department, the US envoy, pretending to admire the figure of the charming French cultural attaché, would actually be thinking how to steal her credit card information, obtain a retinal scan, her email passwords and frequent flier number.

http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn12032010.html

If you don`t already, it's worth reading AC's diary piece every week. The columns are published on the US Counterpunch site on Fridays. Thanks very much!

Last edited:

stevied

Why unexpected? The Washington Times is extremely conservative and is owned and funded by Sun Myung Moon. I think it loses millions each year.

luka

i think da powers dat be are wise enough to know that killing assange wouldn't stop the wikileaks movement. it may be worth doing even so, to set an example, but i doubt it. i think it may well make the situation worse for them. they'll probably just make loads of fucked up stupid laws to deal with it like they usually do and the world will be a little less free again....

stevied

No problem. The Washington Post is certainly a different kind of newspaper and obviously renowned for breaking Watergate. But it too has moved significantly to the right over the years. Sure, there are a some honest and good journalists still there, but it also employs plenty of hacks and shills for the State Department and corporate America: it was trying to outdo the NYT in pro-war fervour in the run-up to Iraq; publishes dissimulations by Peter Peterson, Wall Street billionaire and Nixon administration cabinet member, on the "need" to gut Social Security and Medicare; and last year was involved in a scandal about journalists being available for corporate hire. Thanks!

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Arrested - thoughts?

I always though Sweden liked to thumb it's nose a bit to the US of A, seems as though these charges are kind of... conveniently timed to say the least however...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I bet the poor guy's been put off having sex ever again.

I distinctly remember he was up against a rape charge when the charges were first made, but now they're calling it "sexual assualt" - so does that mean a horribly violent rape, or a pinch on the arse? Of course, for all we know maybe the allegations are true - which is why it's such an effective way to smear someone, if they're not...

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
No bail granted.
In custody till later this month.

John Pilger was gonna put up some of the bail.

" Assange smiled twice in court. Once when giving Australian PO box as his address. Then when judge said Wikipedia instead of Wikileaks. "

Last edited:
D

droid

I bet the poor guy's been put off having sex ever again.

I distinctly remember he was up against a rape charge when the charges were first made, but now they're calling it "sexual assualt" - so does that mean a horribly violent rape, or a pinch on the arse? Of course, for all we know maybe the allegations are true - which is why it's such an effective way to smear someone, if they're not...

He was charged, the charges were dropped.

Now theyre back again. The allegation is that he either failed to wear, or took off/broke a condom during consensual sex. It all seems extremely dodgy.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If the sex was consensual, how can it be considered "rape", condom or no condom?

He should get one of these for the next time he has a hot date:

NBC-suit.jpg

Last edited: