why is there no wikileaks thread?

nochexxx

harco pronting
I thought it was pretty fair. On a personal level Assange came across much as he did here - badly.

some of the points within the Panorama doc may have been valid but to my mind the documentary felt like a sinister witchhunt. desperately sensationalist in comparison to ABC's style imo, which also shared varying viewpoints on Assange's personality.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's just nuts - I mean it's so weird it's hard to form a moral value judgment in response to it. I guess it makes him pretty fucking flawed though.

Mr Assange accused the Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger of being part of the conspiracy, despite the fact that neither he or the other writers mentioned are not Jewish.
According to Private Eye, when informed of this “Assange insisted that [Rusbridger] was “sort of Jewish” because he was related to [Guardian journalist] David Leigh”.
That bit especially.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sounds to me increasingly like Wikileaks could do with a new figurehead, or at least some sort of acting spokesperson, while Assange sorts himself the fuck out.

Do you reckon he's friends with John Galliano?

I was just thinking that. They should go out on the lash with Mel Gibson, I bet they'd all have a whale of a time.

grizzleb

It doesn't sound like he actually said 'Jewish conspiracy'. Sounds like some proper smear shit tbh...just let him speak for any length of time and then eventually he'll say some daft shit you can selectively quote, and then bobs your uncle

Loved the cartoon in this month's prospect though.

crackerjack

It doesn't sound like he actually said 'Jewish conspiracy'. Sounds like some proper smear shit tbh...just let him speak for any length of time and then eventually he'll say some daft shit you can selectively quote, and then bobs your uncle

Oh FFS, if you don't go on about people your enemies all being Jewish then there's nothing there for people to "selectively quote". Once you do, you're in the land of the indefensible.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In the same interview Mr Assange added that [Private Eye] was “part of a conspiracy” led by “Jewish” writers.

Mr Assange accused the Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger of being part of the conspiracy, despite the fact that neither he or the other writers mentioned are not Jewish.

According to Private Eye, when informed of this “Assange insisted that [Rusbridger] was “sort of Jewish” because he was related to [Guardian journalist] David Leigh”.

Admittedly the JC is unlikely to take an entirely disinterested stance on this, but either Assange said those things or he didn't, and if he did it's quite damning, isn't it?

Edit: crackerjack, admittedly he didn't say *all* his enemies were Jewish, did he? That would kind of mean the entire American establishment was Jewish...

Last edited:

PeteUM

It's all grist
Just clarify/attempt to wriggle out of what I said upthread :)eek:) i.e. the thing about flawed heroes - I meant that this kind of binary good guys/bad guys world always strikes me as a bit weird, although I must admit I want Assange to be whiter than white myself (no racial undertone to that) just cos, you know, fuck the The Man and stuff. Granted that he is accused of rape, and that this Jewish conspiracy claim sounds pretty paranoid, but it seems that he has to be Jesus or Satan for people, and I find that interesting. I dunno, I'm into myths and archetypes and I find him a fascinating character from that point of view. Like, here's this white-haired weirdo outsider representing a new paradigm (harnessing new relationships of power and technology) that emerges during a structural shift in a society's values, who stands up against the old order/makes them look foolish/inflames the youth/blah blah blah, and we're somewhere in Act 2 right now, witnessing a downfall due to inherent flaws/eternal verities, presumably followed by some kind of synthesis. He he, perhaps I'm getting a bit carried away, but the saviour/betrayer thing is a cultural/historical classic innit.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Great post, Pete.

Assange's paranoia towards International Jewry does makes a certain twisted sense if you think he really believes his own (capital-M) Messiah-hood - "They got Him, they're after Me too!", haha.

PeteUM

It's all grist
Great post, Pete.

Assange's paranoia towards International Jewry does makes a certain twisted sense if you think he really believes his own (capital-M) Messiah-hood - "They got Him, they're after Me too!", haha.

Ah yeah, I hadn't thought of that! Still don't totally get this connection between paranoia and Jew-hating though.

I almost did write something about Assange's own operating myth - how he sees himself, but I didn't want to get too tangential. Related to that is the question of the pressure he is under and what that can do to you. He can't have had a good night's sleep, like, ever...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm not sure it's strictly possible for Assange to really be paranoid - everyone (in a position of power) really is out to get him. He's the Man Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest, innit.

adruu

This Is It
it is utterly bizarre that a bunch of tech nerds would practice redundancy in everything BUT their public persona (assange)

way to put all eggs in a basket under an anvil