why is there no wikileaks thread?

version

It's hard not to view him being officially labeled a "suicide risk" as laying the groundwork for him to "kill himself".

PeteUM

It's all grist
Just clarify/attempt to wriggle out of what I said upthread :)eek:) i.e. the thing about flawed heroes - I meant that this kind of binary good guys/bad guys world always strikes me as a bit weird, although I must admit I want Assange to be whiter than white myself (no racial undertone to that) just cos, you know, fuck the The Man and stuff. Granted that he is accused of rape, and that this Jewish conspiracy claim sounds pretty paranoid, but it seems that he has to be Jesus or Satan for people, and I find that interesting. I dunno, I'm into myths and archetypes and I find him a fascinating character from that point of view. Like, here's this white-haired weirdo outsider representing a new paradigm (harnessing new relationships of power and technology) that emerges during a structural shift in a society's values, who stands up against the old order/makes them look foolish/inflames the youth/blah blah blah, and we're somewhere in Act 2 right now, witnessing a downfall due to inherent flaws/eternal verities, presumably followed by some kind of synthesis. He he, perhaps I'm getting a bit carried away, but the saviour/betrayer thing is a cultural/historical classic innit.

Although I'm loathe to repost my excitable "mythic" defence of Assange from a decade ago today's Guardian article has alerted me to the fact that I remember the mother of his 2 kids as a young child in Botswana, as her parents are family friends/colleagues of mine. Funny old world.