edinburgh, what's good?

Immryr

So, I'm going to Edinburgh for a couple of days at the end of this month but I haven't been since I was a kid and have no idea about the city.
Anyone got any tips on good places to eat, good pubs, record shops, nights happening, general cultural stuff? Like I say I don't know anything about the city so any tips would be appreciated.

Ta

S

simon silverdollar

i was there last summer and had some lovely food. there's a canteen round the back of the central mosque that does really good, really cheap curries. also La Garrigue does nice southern france food. and Falko's cafe is a great german cake and coffee place (they also do amazing Sea Buckthorn ice cream).

grizzleb

It's not particularly obscure at all, but I fucking love the Walter Scott monument. It's an amazing object. I once had a semi-mystical experience coming back from a party one foggy autumn morning. The sky white and this big black obelisk standing stark against it. Amazing thing. Edinburgh is probably the most beautiful city I've ever been in.

Immryr

cheers guys. any more for any more?

simon are you doing any writing at the minute? i used to love reading your blogs.

S

simon silverdollar

thanks! i'm writing a bit for FACT but no one else at the moment. and will be starting a new blog soon, but that will be about bird watching, not music.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Walking. This time of year is perfect. Almost ghostly as evening falls, in particular. Old town, New Town, Arthurs seat etc etc etc

Wandering aimlessly gives you the perfect excuse to drop into a warm pub (of which there are many ace ones) every now and then.

Museum of Scotland. Also National Gallery and the Fruitmarket Gallery

David Bann restaurant

Analogue books (there's another excellent political bookshop by the university

There is/was a good second hand record shop down by holyrood.

Simon- let us know when the new blog is up and running...

Last edited: