News of the World phone hacking scandal

crackerjack

That is a fantastically catty article. "Gray and Keys, who are unpopular with many viewers..."

yeah, meant to post it in footy thread too

Inclined to believe what he says cos Paul Hayward's not usually like that - or maybe it's just that he doesn't usually write about TV presenters.

And Keys does seem like an almighty twat.

grizzleb

So hopeful that this ends with a serious plethora of convictions. Praying for it. I'd love to see Mel P behind bars. Incidentally.

crackerjack

Starting to revise my opinion of all this. If it's true that Tessa Jowell's phone was hacked LAST FUCKING WEEK I can no longer see this as a Sinister Conspiracy to Destroy Our Freedom. I just think the nation's tabloid journalists are all on some kind of hack crack, they just can't help themselves.

I mean, why would you bother with her now anyway? Least of all when you must know the net is closing in on the whole filthy business.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"If it's true that Tessa Jowell's phone was hacked LAST FUCKING WEEK"
Seems completely weird and nonsensical - and it's not proven yet right? Anyway, as far as I can tell, the hacking procedure involves phoning the number in question and doing some jiggery-pokery with your buttons - if you use an anonymous pay-as-you-go then who can trace you?

IdleRich

IdleRich
What are burners? Phones you abandon? My friend used that years ago, he was basically running an illegal phone hacking service for jealous husbands etc He needed the phone itself to interrogate though and he ran his business and arranged meetings with the stolen phones from an anonymous phone - advertised the number in the Private Eye small ads. He wasn't/isn't a Guardian journalist though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Though maybe they could argue it decreases Sky's share of the airwaves and makes their takeover thing more reasonable?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Um, I missed it, anyway, the Met are looking worse and worse by the day

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/09/phone-hacking-newsoftheworld

The Metropolitan police has announced that more public figures may have been the victims of phone hacking than previously thought.
After reviewing existing and new evidence, Scotland Yard admitted it may have misinformed potential hacking victims by telling them they had not been targeted by the News of the World.
Oops - it just gets more and more embarrassing for them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also (from Graun too)

In written evidence published on the committee's website, Mosley said the Metropolitan police had recovered documents from Mulcaire's home in the course of the 2006 investigation leading to his arrest and that they proved Thurlbeck had instructed the private investigator to hack into phones belonging to public figures.

"Even a cursory examination of these papers will have identified a number of NoW journalists who had commissioned potentially illegal investigations by Mulcaire," Mosley said.
The police clearly failed to even attempt to do their job.