Cabaret du Neant

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone heard of this? When I was in France I stayed with a guy who had found some items that he thought came from the original place - can't remember what they were, I was drunk I'm afraid - and I finally got round to looking the thing up now. Seems interesting...

In the 1890s, the Cabaret du Néant (of Tavern of the Dead) first opened its production in Paris and later in New York City. After entering the Cabaret, spectators followed a "monk" down a blackened hall to a café with candles on coffin-shaped tables where they could order refreshments from waiters in funeral garb. A lecture called their attention to paintings of figures that dissolved into paintings of skeletons. While bells tolled and a funeral march played, the monk led the audience to a second chamber; here, a volunteer was asked to step up on a stage and enter a standing casket. After the volunteer was wrapped in a white shroud the spectators gasped at an apparent "X-ray" effect--actually a simpler optical effect--as the man dissolved into a skeleton and then once again returned to plain sight as the skeleton disappeared. In the last chamber, using a similar optical effect, a live spirit appeared to walk around an audience volunteer who mounted the stage to sit at a table.
http://morbidanatomy.blogspot.com/2007/08/cabaret-du-nant-tavern-of-dead.html

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
'Drunk', or something...

not heard of that but it sounds tacky as hell in a really cool way.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually, now I think about it properly they were kind of postcards - effectively adverts I guess. 19th Century flyers - although I assume the clientele at such a place would have been fairly exclusive. The pictures look amazing I reckon. Really quite creepy even though you know it's just show - I guess that a ghoulish obsession with death can't help but be creepy even if what you see is all fake. Not that I'm advocating a total divorce from and sanitation of death that we get nowadays either.
Something these guys try to remedy I suppose

http://www.necronauts.org/manifesto1.htm