the revolution will be televised

crackerjack

S5, you got a link for that Beck quote? That guy just keeps going from strength to strength, I mean we've got Clarkson and Littlejohn but he's in a different league altogether.

Guardian did a round-up of US right-wing commentary on Egypt early last week, in its blog/comments section, somewhere (helpful aren't i?).

Today's running news making depressing reading. Lots of targeted arrests, while keeping Tahrir itself fairly orderly. Looks like attempt to take the steam out of the revolution without (visibly) crushing it. We'll see how quickly US/EU resort to nothing-to-see-here/our-bastard default mode.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'd quite like to see Glenn Beck replace Andy Gray on Sky Sports Special. God only knows what he'd have made of Arsenal's second half collapse against Newcastle United.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sounds doubtful - Western powers are generally pro-Mubarak (c.f. Blair!), aren't they? And I doubt the Americans would want to incite the kind of popular revolt that could end up putting Islamists in charge of the country.

zhao

there are no accidents
that's pretty much what i think as well. while the wikileaks info about the one guy attending some kind of seminar in NYC might be true, i think its relevance in the bigger scheme is likely blown way out of proportion. much like the claim that the whole thing is lead by the Muslim Brotherhood -- all attempts to discredit what is fundamentally a people's revolt.

crackerjack

Sounds doubtful - Western powers are generally pro-Mubarak (c.f. Blair!), aren't they? And I doubt the Americans would want to incite the kind of popular revolt that could end up putting Islamists in charge of the country.

I don't doubt these meetings took place – embassy staff routinely meet people they consider influential, or potentially influential in the future – but it'd be a huge leap from there to suggest the protests are US-backed, let alone orchestrated. The US is obviously embarrassed by its closeness to nipple-clampers and bollock-chargers, and not so stupid they don't realise the extent to which it undermines their soft power. Problem is they regard democracy as admirable in principle, but a lot less important than anti-Islamism and peace with Israel in practice.

alex

Do not read this.
fox.jpg

WTF!!!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well it would hardly be the first time the US has taken a, shall we say, pragmatic approach to the groups it deals with it internationally. I guess the optimal outcome for them would be the installation of a democratic but still US-friendly regime, which in my inexpert opinion sounds quite unlikely.

stevied

Track is simply called "#Jan25". Produced by Sami Matar, a Palestinian-American composer from Southern California, and featuring Freeway, The Narcicyst, Omar Offendum, HBO Def Poet Amir Sulaiman, and Canadian R&B vocalist Ayah.