the revolution will be televised

sufi

lala
Think it's safe to say after watching that that Gadhafi is way past barking. Completely Southend in fact (just a little A13 joke there).
this was a classic daffy bonkers moment, compared to husny & bin ali's over-formal stylings,
libya tv (known as the hedgehog channel due to it's rather spiky logo
libya1.gif
) touted it as a '...live address from the residence of the brother revolutionary...' preceded by martial dramas, cute military ladies singing etc, then it was like 'well yeah i was down there with the youth, it was raining, but i'm not in venezuala innit' 20 seconds of pure ideosyncratic brute surrealism with a brolly
he leaves it to his slimy son (saif al islam aka saif all ijram - the criminal) to drop terror threats of civil war & chaos
& even less amusingly
i've been hearing some real nastiness going on with the way the regime in libya seems to be encouraging interracial violence by protestors against black libyans, which already has a long history but is exacerbated by the stories of african mercenaries etc... :(

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
this was a classic daffy bonkers moment, compared to husny & bin ali's over-formal stylings,
libya tv (known as the hedgehog channel due to it's rather spiky logo
libya1.gif
) touted it as a '...live address from the residence of the brother revolutionary...' preceded by martial dramas, cute military ladies singing etc, then it was like 'well yeah i was down there with the youth, it was raining, but i'm not in venezuala innit' 20 seconds of pure ideosyncratic brute surrealism with a brolly
he leaves it to his slimy son (saif al islam aka saif all ijram - the criminal) to drop terror threats of civil war & chaos
& even less amusingly
i've been hearing some real nastiness going on with the way the regime in libya seems to be encouraging interracial violence by protestors against black libyans, which already has a long history but is exacerbated by the stories of african mercenaries etc... :(

we all know Quaddafi (gaddafi? Kaddafi?) has always been touched in the head, but he seems to be reveling in it now...

gaddafi-feb-21-1.jpg

gaddafi-nuts.jpg

he looks so fucking eccentric...

like a jacques tati character or a james bond villian... or maybe a bit player in a wes anderson movie...

stevied

Good piece by Tariq Ali in the Guardian today with the catchy title, "This is an Arab 1848. But US hegemony is only dented." It ends with this poem by the Iraqi poet Muddafar al-Nawab:

… Mubarik, Mubarik,
Wealth and good health
Fax the news to the UN.
Camp after Camp and David,
Father of all your Camps.
Damn your fathers
Rotten Lot;
The stench of your bodies floods your nostrils …
O Make-Believe Summit
Leaders
May your faces be blackened;
Ugly your drooping bellies
Ugly your fat arses
Why the surprise
That your faces resemble both ...
Summits … summits … summits
Goats and sheep gather,
Farts with a tune
Let the Summit be
Let the Summit not be
Let the Summit decide;
I spit on each and every one of you
Kings … Sheikhs … Lackeys …

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/22/arab-1848-us-hegemony-dented

Also worth reading Adam Shatz's "After Egypt" in the LRB.

And thanks very much for the reference to Cyclonopedia. I have never read it but will check it out now.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just got back from a few days visiting a mate in Beirut. Lebanon seems to have narrowly avoided a widespread popular uprising - there was a vote of no confidence in the government in the new year and some kind of caretaker government is apparently in charge; there were a couple of days last month when it looks like things were going to get hairy, extra military presence in the streets and people afraid to go outside, but that seems to have subsided for the time being. The main gripe there is not so much absolute oppression or poverty as such but the endemic corruption; I heard an estimated figure of US$11B being embezzled each year by the previous govt. Still very deep social/religious divisions despite the end of the civil war, plus the ever-present threat of another Israeli attack...

Goes without saying everyone is paying rapt attention to events elsewhere in the ME/N Africa.

Edit: Sorry, I'll stop pretending to be Dissensus's Middle East correspondent now. But it was interesting being somewhere that's kind of on the periphery of all this turbulence. The guy I stayed with is coming up to the end of his current contract and is looking at jobs in Egypt next...

Last edited:

sufi

lala
not entirely sure this is in good taste but neverthelessmany many remixes of gadaffi speech all over youtube by now,

what you need to know is 'zanga zanga, dar dar, bait bait,' means 'street by street, house by house, room by room,' as in "we will massacre the residents of benghazi...."