Rolling dull exercise thread

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Don't know if such a thread already exists - please transfer if it does. So this is the place for your dullest questions about exercise.

Mine is about kettlebells - if I use dumbbells between 14 and 16 kg for lots of exercises, what weight kettlebells should I be going for? I have no idea of the difference in difficulty in doing basic exercises with a kettlebell, and obv dont' want to shell out for the wrong weight.....

gumdrops

i already go swimming but havent been in about 3 weeks. still, i want to bulk up a bit. esp my upper body. what sort of bench and weights should i get for home use?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
not sure about benches, but can tell you what i've found to be the best exercises with dumbbells. Turkish get-up is a great full body exercise, dumbbell lunges, shoulder shrugs, dumbbell press from the floor.... most of them employ the legs too - just exercising the upper body won't mean you bulk up, you need the full body exercises too.

the kettlebells i'm trying for something a bit different - found some fairly cheap ones on gumtree...

DannyL

Wild Horses
That link isn't working but here's a link to the whole issue, which is dedicated to exercise: http://www.slate.com/id/2281814/

Gumdrops - dunno if you'd need a bench - it's really dangerous to do bench press without a spotter (someone to help you with the bar) so dumbells or kettlebells I guess. Received wisdom says you need weights to bulk up but if you're a skinny git like me, you'll have to eat a lot as well. I find the hard thing with any of this stuff is keeping it regular esp if you're doing it at home. That's why communities like Crossfit are so successful I guess - they provide that social aspect.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Guys, guys, you're making this a bit too interesting. Please try to be a bit more dull.

As to Danny's points - I think bulking up is overrated anyway - toned is where it's at. Regular is def diffciult, tho I find five-ten minutes on getting up can become an easy routine, so long as it's not deepest January.

Anyone use/used kettlebells?

Oh,a nd does anyone know sources of shit 5-a-side teams in London - I really, really don't want to join one that takes it seriously, as I think I might die.

Last edited:

Leo

i'm 1+ month into my new year's resolution to use my rowing machine at least five times a week (*pats himself on back*) and have a gear question: are there any recommended headphones for wearing during a workout?

when i'm just walking around listening to my ipod, i prefer earbuds that you insert into your ear, but the ones i have pop out pretty easily when rowing. i also have an old pair that have this plastic half-circle sort of thing that you slide behind your ear, and they stay in place but sound like crap. maybe there are some of that style that sound decent?

hope this question is dull enough, appreciate any suggestions.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/611...70&nopopup=1&gclid=CLf_v9jfnbUCFSHHtAodH2kAnA

leo - i had these headphones and used them at the gym regularly. only problem with them is the volume control which you have to clip to your waistline, sometimes can be a bit cumbersome but generally they are really good, especially if you're excercising outside of a loud gym.

I want to get some proper headphones that drown out shit gym music but aren't going to make my head explode with sweat as well.

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/Build-full-body-muscle-with-kettlebells - as irritating as magazines like mens health are they do have useful information in them.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Climbing and cycling for me.

If you lot are skinny boys trying to bulk up, indoor climbing is worth a look, actually - it's massive amounts of core and upper-body exercise, and it's pretty addictive if you get into it so there's an encouragement to come back. Also the music at climbing walls tends to be better than at gyms - we used to hear Remarc fairly regularly at the Castle, although my current wall is part of a general purpose leisure centre so we get Kiss FM all the bloody time because they've only got one radio reciever and "that's what the poeple in the gym want to hear".

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I haven't yet made it to the Castle despite living within sight of it (ish), so I might have to change that. It's little bit more expensive than the other exercise options, but hey, looks fun

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah, the Castle is fairly expensive even for a London wall...

Membership plans make it a bit more affordable (no worse than gym membership).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I would quite like to get into swimming. I went a few months ago for the first time in years (to the pool in my mate's gym) and I couldn't swim two feet without making huge ripples in the pool. I liked the feel of being in the water though, and I do need to do some sort of cardio cos all I do at the gym really is weights.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
HOLY CRAP I just went for a swim for the first time since forever. The proper pool was closed for some exercise class for pensioners so I went in the wave pool. It has easily the best water slide I've ever used, it empties you out into this big chamber thing about four metres across that's shaped like an oblate spheroid, so you do several laps before finally being plopped unceremoniously through the hole at the bottom. The waves were fun too. Definitely telling my GF to bring her cossie next time she comes over.

OK so this probably doesn't count as 'dull exercise'...

benw

swam for 1 hr, breast stroke and front crawl mainly, digital mystikz mix for john peel and space dimension controller's album soundtracked it. excellent stuff! really enjoyed having music to listen to, swimming and a quick sauna trip after. goggles are next on my list to purchase, eyes are red as.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
One of my favourite things ever was going to the outdoor thermal pools in Reykjavik. Gorgeously warm pool, sauna, sequence of hot tubs from (I think) 38 degrees up to 44 degrees, and an unexpectedly amazing water slide. Bliss when it's about two degrees outside.

Iceland as a whole is easily one of the most amazing places I've ever been - would recommend it massively.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I need to go some places this year - what's so great about Iceland? I mean I know the landscape is amazing, is that the main attraction? I'd imagine it's quite expensive too?

Is there a Travel thread on Dissensus?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There are loads of travel threads about certain places but I don't think there's an official 'rolling travel thread'.

Iceland does sound amazing, everyone I know who's been has loved it although they've also had horror stories about the price of everything. Sounds like a great place to save up for and treat yourself to a week's stay or so.

Off topic: I'm aiming for Norway some time this spring/summer, anyone been? Thinking of a few days in Oslo and a few days out in the fjords.