Anti-royal wedding Uncelebration

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ I sort of know what you mean, it became another subject for people to show off how cool and right-on their views were (or they thought their views were). I was getting pretty fed up of people saying over and over on facebook/twitter how they 'didn't care' about it, when obviously their level of posting showed that at some level they did.
Having said that, I do feel some of the 'venom' was justified. First of all, the event is a visible reminder that we still live in a monarchy, which a lot of people are unhappy about, and with good reason. Also it's cost us a lot of public money without anyone being given a say in the matter. And beyond that, I don't think a lot people appreciate the expectation that they're all supposed to have fun just because of an event that may not mean anything to them - it's a bit like being officially told 'you must enjoy yourselves today'.

I don't have any personal animosity towards Kate Middleton or Prince William, so I don't have a problem with them having a happy day and a succesful marriage and so forth, but I am opposed to the monarchy as an institution and would be happy to see it go. But even if I wasn't anti-monarchy, I can't really imagine sitting down and watching the ceremony: TV coverage of slow-moving public ceremonies like this is always crap and ends up with presenters desperately filling dead air. Also I'm just not that interested in weddings unless they involve people I know personally ( and even then I have to make a bit of an effort...).

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Believe it or not, there are actually legitimate reasons that people are full of venom about the whole thing. I can see how the hate might be perceived as embarassing when it becomes a self-congratulating group hate-wank, but to be honest, I'd take that over the hysterical, displaced, doe-eyed group love-wank that is everybody else. The latter is far more embarrassing.

EDIT: the last two posts seem to have been made while I was writing this, or I didn't notice them. Either way, I'm disagreeing with you less now.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I reckon even just a gut-level annoyance with this being all over every newspaper and television is a legitimate grievance. It finds a way to insult your intelligence, even if you aren't that intelligent.

Leo

kind of surprised how much coverage it's gotten here in the states. all the major TV networks have had their top personalities over there all week, and it was non-stop coverage with no commercial interruptions this morning for hours on end. many people here still seem to have this fantasy image of england, all castles and refinement and high tea, and they love the idea of british royalty (despite the country being founded by fleeing them!)

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
The police certainly used the opportunity to get some work done around the country.
Today was also supposed to be the day Guantánamo detainees were getting compensation.

slowtrain

I watched it with my Dad... We were both a bit shocked at how despite all the talking up of good old English 'pomp and ceremony' how very little of that there was! No swords, no proper decadence, no nothing... It woulda been better if they had done something really befitting a royal wedding - it looked like any old couples thing from here...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I find both equally embarassing.

Where's the fucking apathy? Britain's supposed to be broken.

I was going to say something on here about how I couldn't be arsed, but I just couldn't be arsed.

Stuart Lee said:
For in choosing Kate, a simple girl from a school near Swindon, as his bride, William is in fact taking each and every British subject – man, woman, old, young, black, white, Christian and Muslim – into his royal bed, and binding us all to each other in the white heat of his princely passion.

Haha, excellent.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Believe it or not, there are actually legitimate reasons that people are full of venom about the whole thing. I can see how the hate might be perceived as embarassing when it becomes a self-congratulating group hate-wank, but to be honest, I'd take that over the hysterical, displaced, doe-eyed group love-wank that is everybody else. The latter is far more embarrassing.

have to say I agree a million per cent with this

And no-one who's 'for' the wedding can seem to say WHY they're celebrating. There's SO much projection going on there (of all kinds of things - romantic, class, safety, meaning) that it's embarrassing no-one even seem to recognise that.

But I have to say some of the antis are annoying. One guy/insufferable moron on Facebook banned me from an anti group when I dared suggest that Morrissey might not be the best poster boy to choose if you were against the royal wedding.

Last edited: