Lost in Meditative Jazz.

version

I was reading something about the anniversary of Bitches Brew the other night and realised I'd never listened to In A Silent Way before. I've been totally stumped for stuff to listen to recently so it's my go-to atm -- just leave it rolling and inevitably get lost in it.

Woebot

• The nicest Ornette is "Change of the Century" Ramblin' off that is everything Free Jazz might be. I saw Ornette live the other day and he was brilliant. I have a lot of his other records (like about 6!) but theyre often a bit iffy, and certainly difficult listening.

hey young woebot

you should listen to this one!

Woebot

I was reading something about the anniversary of Bitches Brew the other night and realised I'd never listened to In A Silent Way before. I've been totally stumped for stuff to listen to recently so it's my go-to atm -- just leave it rolling and inevitably get lost in it.

in a silent way AMAZING

if you're on the in a silent way tip files de kilamanjaro is also lovely. bassline.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Watched this documentary on Miles Davis the other night. All news to me, ofc, so not sure how revelatory it could possibly be to fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000ggdf/miles-davis-birth-of-the-cool

Miles Davis - horn player, bandleader, innovator. Elegant, intellectual, vain. Callous, conflicted, controversial. Magnificent, mercurial. Genius. The very embodiment of cool. The man with a sound so beautiful it could break your heart.

The central theme of Miles Davis's life was his restless determination to break boundaries and live life on his own terms. It made him a star. It also made him incredibly difficult to live with for the people who loved him most. Again and again, in music and in life, Miles broke with convention - and when he thought his work came to represent a new convention, he changed it again. Miles's bold disregard for tradition, his clarity of vision, his relentless drive and constant thirst for new experiences made him an inspiring collaborator to fellow musicians and a cultural icon to generations of listeners. It made him an innovator in music - from bebop to cool jazz, modern quintets, orchestral music, jazz fusion, rock ‘n’ roll and even hip-hop.

Featuring never-before-seen archival footage, studio outtakes and rare photos, this film tells the story of a truly singular talent and unpacks the music and the myth of the man behind the horn.

kumar

the weird bit about that was how all the snippets of miles davis talking were actually reenactments by someone doing a miles davis voice

version

He seems like a real villain in that clip, like he's just been caught by the feds and he's running rings round them in interrogation.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Saw Mike Davis play, only once in Manchester 1989, with the old man and his boy’s night out jazz crew of old timers. MD played the entire gig with his back to the audience. Weird but sublime. If you had a parent who was part of the whole UK trad-jazz wave, you got a hefty exposure to all sorts.

Heard Jimmy Cobb play @Brecon Jazz courtesy of my old man again. That had swing. Gerry Mulligan trio too, one the best musical nights out you could hope for

Music -