you

*voice of Marcus Halberstam* Can we get a table?

nah - seriously, I'd quite like to hook up with you guys but I'm more up for a meal and drinks before a train home to berkshire....

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
The Salisbury is a nice pub on Green Lanes. Hate to be a voice of doubt, but is Green Lanes the best place to take Zhao on his first trip to London? *ducks*

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Dissensus = So Squalid Crew
(Been waiting to use that one for a while)

Ha, I posted this but deleted it because I thought it was too lame.

Definitely up for some Green Lanes food/drink action - I could take zhao to some of my favourite proper kebab joints from Ye Goode Olde Days. And yes, the Salisbury is nice (they used to have dubstep nights there a few years back, believe it or not).

luka

its werid to me to tak someone coming from germany for a kebab. theres a lot of turkish food in germany.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But what could be more London than eating foreign food that's been adopted as British?

There are very few proper fish and chip shops left, if that's what you're getting at.

And when I was Berlin (although it was only for a few days) the Turkish takeaway on offer seemed to be mostly about the doner meat and lahmacun, rather than proper shish kebabs. Could be wrong there. Zhao, what do you fancy eating?

luka

its nothing to do with me i wont be there just sticking an oar in out of boredom really. just makes me laugh taking the poor bloke to the least glamourous part of town to eat food he can eat better in berlin.

luka

i mean its the the best city in th world and its his first visit so you suggest green lanes. i know why baboon suggsted it becuase its a mauvere i pull all the time, im reluctant to travel so always force people to come to my area. in a way though i do agree that for dissensus it is perhaps appropriate.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i just makes me laugh taking the poor bloke to the least glamourous part of town to eat food he can eat better in berlin.

You're definitely wrong on the first count (ever walked down Oxford Street or been to Shepherd's Bush?) and probably wrong on the second. There's a reason Berlin isn't famous as a foodie's city...

Edit: yes, I know, I was being rhetorical, innit.

Last edited:

luka

ubnlike yourself i was born and raised in london. i know it bettr than anyone on dissensus. far better in fact. obvoisuly i was being hyperbolic there are large parts of the south london hinterland which are less glamourous, catford for example, but its still a funny place to take a tourist.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Pretty much everywhere north of Harringay on Green Lanes is less glamorous, for a start. The Grand Parade is pretty clearly the smart bit.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know you were born in London but that doesn't make you automatically right whatever you say about it, luka. And I lived in Harringay for years so I'm sure I know that area better than you do. I guess it's moot because you're on the other side of the world but where would you take zhao if it were up to you? And don't say Stratford.

luka

well as i conceded i think its quite appropriate in a way to take him thre for a dissensus visit becasue i assume he will have time to do th tourist stuff by himself and you lot are needed to give him an 'AUTHENTICALLY' grotty dpressing london expereience. i probably would have suggested newham for the sam reason baboon suggestd haringey that is to say, inertia mainly but also a very good knowldge of th area. i personally find north london intnsely depressing and hollow and cold eyed when its not hopelessly twee/smug (hello hampstead)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If you want grotty and depressing, get your arse to Elephant & Castle, or somewhere in the far west like Acton.

If I had lots of money I'd live in Hampstead or Stoke Newington in a second. I guess I have very conventional taste in what makes a 'nice' area. I hate litter and street noise at night and I like big handsome old houses.