luka

given the choice i would live in leytonstone or forest gate. theres a very very good french cakey shop that does very good espresso (lavazza which you can get all over th place but done well here) run by frightening looking algerian men that look like thy absconded from the foreign legion. there are about 8 working at any one time. its not th sort of place that needs to worry about robberies. i think elephant has a real vigour and bustle that i dont get from north london personally but im not sure how objective these kind of judgements are. elephant has an undeniable energy though. acton is very different as it is very suburban like manor park for example, has that forgotten zone 6 feel. also overerun with antipodeans.

luka

i grew up on romford rd which is the continuation of whitechapel high rd, bow rd, mile end rd etc there was a bus stop opposite and a big girls school (sarah bonnell)round th corner. i like noise. i find it comforting. i remember vividly how frightening it was going to stay wtih my grandparents in swanage vry summer becasue the nights were so dark and so utterly still. vry eerie. i can do without litter though. no one likes litter. wll actualy sometimes i do. i like historic litter like whit pepsi cans and packets of deleted crisp flavours and ancients tabloid page threes and stuff. cans of mcewans and that....

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Anyway, if you don't want to do Turkish you can always go to Jai Shri Krishna or Munas and then go to the Salisbury.

And The Salisbury is a proper old fashioned london hotel pub with big mirrors and mosaics on the floor and is anything but grimey and depressing.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Goodness, interesrting conversation.

I like Green Lanes a lot, not just that I'm gonna be living there (also, chose to live there precisely because i like the vibe, which I don't find depressing, but different ppl have different things that depress them).

If I had loads of money, I'd live somewhere nice but without loads of typical private school types...so bloody hell, maybe somewhere near where I'm gonna be living but in a much nicer place?

Then again, stayed over at a friend's place in Putney recently, and it was gorgeous. Wouldn't wanna live there more than three months of the year, though. Holiday home?

Elephant is properly depressing, agreed, but Acton's alright in parts. Debeauvoir Town is fucking depressing, save the canal. Parts of east (eg Beckton) I find v depressing too.

luka

the housing estate round beckton are very grim, i know people that grew up there and the storiese are amazing, axe attacks and whatnot... just beyond nuts but i pnt a lot of time round there cycling and walking cos thres some great bits. me craner and jim were stopped by armed police outside the gasworks where kubirck shot that film and accused of being terrorists or something. thats was a funny timee in the world early 00s and pure stupidnss everywhere, not least from craner incidently. beckton is quite interesting historically and has a noble role in the history of sewers in london. i find the atmpsphere there very unique and moreish.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
the housing estate round beckton are very grim, i know people that grew up there and the storiese are amazing, axe attacks and whatnot... just beyond nuts but i pnt a lot of time round there cycling and walking cos thres some great bits. me craner and jim were stopped by armed police outside the gasworks where kubirck shot that film and accused of being terrorists or something. thats was a funny timee in the world early 00s and pure stupidnss everywhere, not least from craner incidently. beckton is quite interesting historically and has a noble role in the history of sewers in london. i find the atmpsphere there very unique and moreish.

probably said before, but when i worked in beckton, there was a murder, spate of rapes, numerous attacks sexual and otherwise, and rabid dog attacks in the five-minute walk between the DLR and where I worked. there are a lot of good things about the area, but the crime was ridiculous.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Hammersmith is the worst place int he entire world. It makes everywhere else mentioned in this thread seem like paradise.

luka

yeah i can find some consensus with you there, bush and hammersmith both.... which one has the walkabout cos wherever has the walkabout is the worst place.

luka

did thy really? i only went once, but it was austrlia day unbeknown to me hahah
it was actually sort of funny it was already very latee and i was already verey pissed, ive even been to 'th church' which was an eye opening cultural experience but not my ida of fun exactly. a 70s stlye comedian dishing out the racism and sexism and mother in law jokes encouragin girls to get thier tits out. you can only buy about 4 beers at a time which some in cans in plasic bag. meatheads everywheree. just filth really.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"ive even been to 'th church' which was an eye opening cultural experience but not my ida of fun exactly. a 70s stlye comedian dishing out the racism and sexism and mother in law jokes encouragin girls to get thier tits out. you can only buy about 4 beers at a time which some in cans in plasic bag. meatheads everywheree. just filth really."
I'd forgotten until now but I went to a bar on Sunday that offers a free bottle of champagne to any woman who flashes her tits and leaves her bra to be hung from the ceiling as a trophy. Depressingly someone did it when I was there.

luka

in the church they have a cameraman and a big screen with live feed to catch and replay any flashing