Aww Nein

Wild Palms
so, anyone here interested in Diaspora?

its the new social network service thing that is de-centralised,as in you can host it on your own server as well as using others, still connects up, but your info doesnt have to be owned by a big corporation. open source is the term i think. kinda a bit like wordpress is a blog platform and somthing you can install on on any server...

it basically looks almost exactly like Google +, i think being open source means google can take anything diaspora did and just use it themselves, which is fair enough, but i think it being open means way more stuff will be produced for it, as it has the ethical support of lots of programmy freedom-of-information types

if anyone wants an invite lemme know... or has any news on things...

slowtrain

Just looking into this now...

Interesting idea....

Maybe I'm not 2.0 enough or something though, I like having secreted away in odd little corners of the net....

Will probably make an 'account' though

ifp

signed up to this a while ago but didn't really do anything on it cos no-one else I know has an account.

It's definitely a good idea, not sure I can ever see it catching on to the point of being useful though.

In a similar vein, there are identi.ca and thimbl.tk which offer open-source and (for thimbl) p2p versions of twitter.